type of filter for cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by klogue2, Dec 26, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

I'm researching cichlids and their care, and came across this website:

It says canister filters are required for cichlids since you have to pack a lot of them in the tank. Is this true? I have 2 HOB filters I plan to use for my 55 when it's time to set it up (Aquatech 30-60 w/ 330gph, AquaClear 50 w/ 200gph; altogether 530gph), and I don't really want to spend such a high price on a filter when I already have these two.

So, is it required to use canisters for a cichlid tank? Or are my two filters enough? I will not even attempt cichlids if my filters are not ideal.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Canister filters are not required for cichlids but they do an excellent job of keeping a tank clear. Some cichlids, Discus in particular, do best in tanks without canisters because canisters trap food and other organic materials. Being so sensitive to water params, Discus don't like the degrading material in the canister. They seem to not be able to tolerate it as well as other fish.
    That sounds like canisters are horrible lol. But in reality they are great filters! I love them. But best to stick to simpler methods of filtration when dealing with sensitive fish.

3. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Ah, I see! Thank you for that information! Would you say cichlids need more than 10x turnover for gph, considering how many per tank there are? I'd love to try my hand at cichlids, just need to do more research :)

4. RogueAgent94

A 10x turnover is a pretty good for most cichlids. More filtration the better. Course if you try larger fish you'll need better filters. If you are willing to spend $50 or so you could get a really nice canister to add to that! I'll dig up the link if you want to look at it.

5. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Oh I didn't realize there were canisters for that price, the only ones I've found were $100+! I'd love to see the link if you can find it :)

6. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

consider that the rated gallon per hour on those filters you mention will be a lot less once you put the filter cartridge in. filters are rated empty and most are over rated. that's why you see some filters 150 gph that say up to forty gallon and another might say 200 up to 30gal

7. OP
    OP
    klogue2

oh I actually never realized that, but it makes sense. But then maybe that's why the general rule is 8-10x turnover, to accommodate the diminished gph? Not trying to say it like you're wrong, just something I thought of when I read your post haha

8. RogueAgent94

9. OP
    OP
    klogue2

That canister sounds great! I may just have to get that one :)

10. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

no harm, I was just repeating something I hear and believed for a while now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice