Type Of Filter For Angelfish

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I will be setting up a 55g aquarium for angelfish soon. I already have two HOB filters but have been reading by some that sponge filters work best, as angelfish do not like a lot of airflow. I would prefer to not waste the two filters I already have, and have to spend more money. I do want my fish to be comfortable though. Would putting a sponge pre-filter on the water inlet tube slow airflow enough for them? Thanks

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings and welcome to Fishlore

Angels do not like flow? That is new to me. I have run HOB and canisters together on all our aquariums for over 10x the water column, and the angels are happy enough to spawn.

From a 55 gallon. 700 GPH filtration. HOB and canister.
_MG_4031 copy.0.jpg

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally found that my angel love water flow, i actively see him sit in front of my powerhead and get a workout from that or if being lazy, push him to the other side of the tank when it comes to feeding him.

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok that's good to know, yes I wasn't sure but some sites I saw that. This means I won't worry anymore though. Thanks

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jonathan212 said:
Ok that's good to know, yes I wasn't sure but some sites I saw that. This means I won't worry anymore though. Thanks
Some angels dont, but most do fine and accustomed to it...

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you got it off angelmania I can understand the confusion, no angles aren't regulated to just sponge filters, all my juvies have no issue with flow even the dime sized ones. Sponge filters are useful for young angels because they are slower waters that prevent babies from being pulled against the filter (actual babies not ones that are pea sized, if they are pea sized and being pulled against a filter they likely need to be culled).

Jonathan212

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella, you got it correct, that is where I was reading it. I'm glad I asked here to get a more accurate answer.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom