Type of fantail

1. Charlie&Chaplin Initiate Member

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I bought my fantails from my local aquatics store, and in the store they are all just put together as 'mixed fantails'. I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify what type of fan tail they are e.g. ryukin, etc.

Also, I have been trying to worki out if they might have fin rot, as the outline of their fins appear to have become very jaggidy.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore!

The frist one looks like a Ryukin. The second one kind of does, too, but the plants are in the way of his body shape. If you payed a fantain price for them, good for you! Ryukins can be one of the more expensive Fancy Goldfish.

3. Charlie&Chaplin Initiate Member

Thank you for your reply.

Here are some more pictures of Charlie... its difficult to get a picture of him as he is a little more shy compared to Chaplin.

:;snail

Attached Files:

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Charlie does appear to be a fantail, yes :) He's very cute, they both are :)

So you can see where I'm coming from, you can see how Chaplin's top line between his nose and dorsal fin curves in? Over time, that will become more pronounced, and he'll look something like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QxeNcj8Oaj0/T1op_-PEMAI/AAAAAAAAAfY/yr-zZYcDfEo/s400/Ryukin-Goldfish-3.jpg

And Charlies top line is rounded out. He'll propably either just turn into a bigger version of how he looks now, or his top line will start to curve in like Chaplin's is, and it just won't be so exaggerated.

5. Charlie&Chaplin Initiate Member

Hi Akari

Thank you for your responses, they are really helpful. :)

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure thing :) I'm getting ready to do a 55 gallon Fancy Goldfish tank, so I've been studying up X3

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Charlie looks a bit calico to me.
    Are you planing on upgrading your tank? Kinda small.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Calico is his coloring, yes lol

I do agree, you'll want 30 gallons just for a Ryukin alone, and then 10 more at the least for a fantail :) Cute lil poop machines, aren't they? XD

9. Charlie&Chaplin Initiate Member

Hello

Yes we have just upgraded to this tank, and will get a bigger one as they get bigger.

I was told that for 2 fantails fully grown we would need 72 litres. So we have 60 just now and each of them is maybe 1 inch long at the mo, only had them 5 months.

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like you've got all planned out :)