Type Of Driftwood And Help

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Ethan22, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ethan22New MemberMember

I found driftwood in the Yakima River in Washington State. It has been weather but just needs to sink. Doesn’t smell like pine or cedar, which I know are no no’s. It has these little thorn pricks on it, but it is a hard wood. I boiled it twice and this weird residue was left in the water. Two questions.

Anyone know this type of wood?

Should I be worried about this residue ie not put it in my tank?

IMG_1522.JPGIMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

The oils i don't think are a problem. These are natural components produced when stuff begins to break down.

3. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure but maybe take it to an arboretum or the forest ranger. I've taken things to our local arboretum and they'll tell you without any problems. Is it closer to the Portland area or the beginning of the river? I'm not too familiar with the area, could it be caused by pollution?

4. Ethan22New MemberMember

It’s on the East side of Washington, it may flow down to Oregon I have no idea. I just didn’t know if the oils were natural or pollutants. Maybe I just test it in a tank with guppies or something. Any other ideas?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice