type of cory

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by llfish, Dec 13, 2012.

1. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

Hello, about a month ago I bought a school 5 julii corys, the associate threw in this guy because she only had one and did not know what it was haha..yay free fish for me. I have not been able to find him buddies, anyone know what type he is....small like a panda cory almost looks like a panda..julii cross but I have no clue.
    IMG_0596.JPGIMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    Sorry for the pictures my camera is not great.

Also, I went to a small pet store today. I bought 4 albino corys to finish my school and she said she wanted to empty the tank so gave me all her inhabitants..which were a single panda cory and ANOther black angel about the size of a dime (only angel left in the store and I had bought one from this school 2 weeks ago) So in my 36 g atm I have 2 dime size black angels, a quarter size koi angel and a toonie size Smokey angel..thank goodness I am getting a bigger tank in a couple weeks! I hope a couple of them pair. If they dont I will have the means to separate. I of course will get the little panda some friends, she said he had been alone in there for months poor little fella!
    IMG_0590.JPGIMG_0591.JPG

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

First seems to be a julii, more likely a trilineatus. Does it have little dots or small squiggles on its forehead?

The others are agassizii cory.

3. OP
    OP
    llfish

Well my of my 5 other juliis I think 4 are false and was is true. This guy has a black mask like a panda. there are not squigglies on his head it is mainly blackish, his body form seems different than a Julii.

4. QQQUUUUAADDD

Could you try and get a clearer pic of his forehead?

5. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I'm no expert on corys.. but I love your angels! They are lovely!!

6. OP
    OP
    llfish

Ok here he is again
    IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG

Once I know what it is i want to get him more buddies. he is always by himself ;( until today..when I added the one lonesome panda from the fish store and they are inseperable atm.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. QQQUUUUAADDD

Oh, I already said lol, he's an agassizii. I was referring to the cory in front in the first pic.

8. OP
    OP
    llfish

doh! ok just have to find him! His head is plumper..and dotted with fine dots. The other 4 are swirly

9. OP
    OP
    llfish

here we are!
    IMG_0606.JPGIMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPGIMG_0617.JPG

10. Ryan123Valued MemberMember

I am pretty it is a sterbia Cory I have kept them before so I am almost positive.
    yes it is I just checked on Google images

11. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

The fish in post #6 is a Corydoras punctatus. The fish in post #9 is a Corydoras julii.

Ryan, Sterbai are similar looking to Juliis except for three main differences. Sterbai are larger, darker colored, and have orange pectoral fins. Here's a picture of one of mine. image

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  12. QQQUUUUAADDD

I guess I was wrong. Agassizis seem to have a longer snout than the punctatus. Maybe that's the way to differentiate the two since I personally think they look very similar.

13. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

The stockier body and lack of dark eye stripe in the Agassizii is what made me think Punctatus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice