Type Of Co2 Diffuser?

montythebrave
HI guys,

I currently have the jbl co2 system, I just use my own mixture of sugar, yeast and baking soda which works very well.

My question is though, the diffuser I got with it is a spiral, the bubbles go round and round to the too then eventually they gurgle out 1 big bubble at the exit of the diffuser. (See my of the diffuser)

I have seen other diffusers where it's almost like a small airstone where lots of tiny bubbles come out of it so should I keep what I have or get one of these airstone type diffusers instead?

Kind regards
Jamie

Attachments

• 15231213828157027133642604291134.jpg
    15231213828157027133642604291134.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 113
FISH KEEPE21
The smaller the bubbles and the less water disruption the more co2 will stay in your tank so I would recommend biting an air stone that produces tinny bubbles

aussieJJDude
What type of filter do you use? IMO the best ones are the inline reactors.

montythebrave
What type of filter do you use? IMO the best ones are the inline reactors.
Fluval 406. I wouldn't want to make it go through my filter, it can damage the rotor.

The smaller the bubbles and the less water disruption the more co2 will stay in your tank so I would recommend biting an air stone that produces tinny bubbles
So you suggest I change away from this special diffuser I got with the JBL co2 pro flora 160 system?

FISH KEEPE21
So you suggest I change away from this special diffuser I got with the JBL co2 pro flora 160 system?
Yes I would git a air stone that produces relly tinny bubble so that there will be more co2 in the water

montythebrave
Yes I would git a air stone that produces relly tinny bubble so that there will be more co2 in the water
I'm from the UK, could you recommend one?

Dave125g
I have a tropica 3 in 1 diffuser. It works well with my DIY yeast set up.
0218180923d.jpeg

montythebrave
I have a tropica 3 in 1 diffuser. It works well with my DIY yeast set up.View attachment 427226
Perfect! I'll get that one, thanks out of curiosity what mixture do you use in combination with this diffuser to get the correct amount of bubbles? I have just started this so only mix I have tried is 2 cups of sugar, half teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.

Dave125g
This diffuser requires a bit more pressure. I shoot for 3 BPS. So I use 2,2 litter bottles each with 1 table spoon of yeast and 2 cups of sugar.
0315181757.jpeg that's what my system looks like.
0403181535.jpegThat's the on/off switch.

montythebrave
This diffuser requires a bit more pressure. I shoot for 3 BPS. So I use 2,2 litter bottles each with 1 table spoon of yeast and 2 cups of sugar. View attachment 427236 that's what my system looks like.View attachment 427237That's the on/off switch.

Nice setup!

So in order for me to replicate this, I need 2,2 litre bottles, what is the third bottle for?

Should I buy this ?-

How does that on off switch work? I assume when you want it off you open it so the co2 escapes into the air?

Dave125g
Nice setup!

So in order for me to replicate this, I need 2,2 litre bottles, what is the third bottle for?

Should I buy this ?-

How does that on off switch work? I assume when you want it off you open it so the co2 escapes into the air?
The third bottle is left empty to act as a separator. Some times that nasty liquid will spill over a little and its collect in the bottle not the tank.

Exactly I just un clip the paper clip so the CO2 escapes in the air and not the tank to turn it off.
0408180840.jpeg you don't really need to buy much. I just drilled holes in the bottle caps for the hoses.
0408180841.jpeg 3 holes for the separator bottle
0408180840a.jpeg and 1 for the generator bottles. All I had to buy was the diffuser.

montythebrave
The third bottle is left empty to act as a separator. Some times that nasty liquid will spill over a little and its collect in the bottle not the tank.

Exactly I just un clip the paper clip so the CO2 escapes in the air and not the tank to turn it off.View attachment 427298 you don't really need to buy much. I just drilled holes in the bottle caps for the hoses.View attachment 427299 3 holes for the separator bottle View attachment 427300 and 1 for the generator bottles. All I had to buy was the diffuser.

Amazing! Thanks for the pictures

Can the third bottle be any size? Did you silicone or glue around the tubes on the caps?

So in both bottles you use 2 cups of sugar, 1 taespoon of yeast and that's it? How much tepid water do you put in both bottles?

How long does this last?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions lol.

It would be cool to see a video of your diffuser in action.

Kind regards
Jamie

Dave125g
The third bottle can be any size.
No glue on any caps. Just drill the holes slightly smaller then the hose, so the expansion of the hose seals it. For now that's it just a tablespoon of yeast and 2 cups of sugar. This lasts about 8 days. My next re-up I will add some baking powder and see if it lasts longer.

I add the yeast to the bottle first, then fill the bottle half way with hot tap water. Then the sugar and shake well. It takes about 20 minutes before the diffuser starts working. I'll try posting a video in a little bit. If I can't do it here I'll post a video of it on my YouTube channel.

montythebrave
The third bottle can be any size.
No glue on any caps. Just drill the holes slightly smaller then the hose, so the expansion of the hose seals it. For now that's it just a tablespoon of yeast and 2 cups of sugar. This lasts about 8 days. My next re-up I will add some baking powder and see if it lasts longer.

I add the yeast to the bottle first, then fill the bottle half way with hot tap water. Then the sugar and shake well. It takes about 20 minutes before the diffuser starts working. I'll try posting a video in a little bit. If I can't do it here I'll post a video of it on my YouTube channel.

I read that if you add "hot" water it kills the yeast, you are supposed to add tepid water so might be worthwhile trying that also.

Excellent! Sounds cool! I just want to see the diffuser working in progress

Link me the video or YT channel when you are ready

Thanks mate!

Dave125g
I don't know what tepid water is? Hot water is how you activate dry yeast. Today is day 8 on my system. Its only putting out 2 BPS. Tomorrow I will add some baking powder and see how it goes. Here's the video hopefully.lol
0408181424.jpg
No video. I'm gonna upload it to YouTube.

montythebrave
I don't know what tepid water is? Hot water is how you activate dry yeast. Today is day 8 on my system. Its only putting out 2 BPS. Tomorrow I will add some baking powder and see how it goes. Here's the video hopefully.lolView attachment 427416
No video. I'm gonna upload it to YouTube.

Tepid means warm not hot.

Seems that's a you have uploaded

Dave125g
Tepid means warm not hot.

Seems that's a you have uploaded
Ok lol yea I don't use boiling water, but it does have to be around 90 degrees to activate.

montythebrave
Ok lol yea I don't use boiling water, but it does have to be around 90 degrees to activate.
Lol! Let me know the link to the video once you upload it

Dave125g
Sent you a pm

I was able to post the video on fishlore, but had to start a separate thread. I tagged you in it.

aussieJJDude
Fluval 406. I wouldn't want to make it go through my filter, it can damage the rotor.

No. Haha you don't put it in the canister, rather you use the flow produced by the canister- you place the reactor on the output side of the canister - and the flow helps to cirulate the tank.

Google cerges reactor for aquarium... it will show you what I mean - there's many different types, cerges is just one of them but you get the idea from that

montythebrave
No. Haha you don't put it in the canister, rather you use the flow produced by the canister- you place the reactor on the output side of the canister - and the flow helps to cirulate the tank.

Google cerges reactor for aquarium... it will show you what I mean - there's many different types, cerges is just one of them but you get the idea from that

I googled it and I saw this :

rxlizdbl-jpg.jpg

Which is exactly what I am talking about, if you inject the CO2 into the water intake, the bubbles go through your rotors of your canister filter and eventually will wear them down breaking it.

I have a spray bar on my tank, so not sure where I would position my co2 diffuser.

I was able to post the video on fishlore, but had to start a separate thread. I tagged you in it.

Great setup you have! Thanks for posting the video

I have ordered the same diffuser, going to buy 2, 2 litre bottles of fizzy juice along with a 1.25 litre fizzy juice for the third bottle. Also ordered a T piece for the on/ off switch like you have created.

Have the on/off setup you have, when you turn it off at night (I assume) do you not lose the pressure that has built up? so when you close it again it takes a while to get going?

Also I have a spray bar on my tank, where do you suggest I position my co2 diffuser?

Dave125g
Great setup you have! Thanks for posting the video

I have ordered the same diffuser, going to buy 2, 2 litre bottles of fizzy juice along with a 1.25 litre fizzy juice for the third bottle. Also ordered a T piece for the on/ off switch like you have created.

Have the on/off setup you have, when you turn it off at night (I assume) do you not lose the pressure that has built up? so when you close it again it takes a while to get going?

Also I have a spray bar on my tank, where do you suggest I position my co2 diffuser?
Yep it will take a while to build up pressure again. You can shake the 2 liter bottles to speed it up a bit. I put my diffuser right under the filter output to blow the bubbles all over the tank.

aussieJJDude

881471de9225d9404231ad508a88bb74.jpg
Revised version.

Blue is the canister, ans the blue pipe is the input of the canister.... red is the output, that flows into this setup. Think of it like a canister, but it does not have a pump.... you get a basic 100% dissolution rate if done correctly!

Edit: except reverse the input and output of the reactor (large part first, then through sponge and then smaller pipe - as it will allow the CO2 mix better and not been pushed through the setup.

Dave125g
A reactor set up is far more efficient then a diffuser. The other thing is you don't get the cloudy look of the micro bubbles in the tank. You will have to build an external bubble counter to make sure the CO2 is still operating.

montythebrave
HI everyone, I finally sorted my DIY lights and diy co2 system.

Here is a video:

Got diffuser running at 1 bubble per 2 seconds, my tank is 58cm wide.

My question is, have I got the diffuser in the best place i.e just to the right of where my spray bar ends.

More importantly, anyone know how to safely shut off this type of co2 system? The d501 kit? Can I just close the value at night or will my bottles explode?

Kind regards
Jamie

Dave125g
Sorry so late. Your difuser placement looks good. The bottles will blow if you close that valve. A 1 bubble every 2 seconds you can leave it on at night. Your a bit under dosed. If you want you can put a bypass valve in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kc10131984
Replies
Views
Jrodr33
  • LovePeace&Snails✌️
  • Plant CO2
Replies
Views
sinned4g63