Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Type Of Angelfish 35 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Amcdonald58, May 22, 2019.

1. Amcdonald58 Valued Member Member

Hello, I am curious about if the type of an angelfish matters. I am going to be setting up a 35 gallon tall planted tank. My lfs has a wide variety of angelfish. I was wondering if a certain type would do best in my tank? For example a koi vs a marbled. I will also be stocking cory's and a schooling fish. Thank you for any help.

2. Crispii Well Known Member Member

There are currently three described species of angelfish. The three described angels are Pterophyllum scalare, Pterophyllum leopoldi, and Pterophyllum altum.

The angelfish that you normally see in stores are domesticated form of P. scalare, which includes koi, gold, marble, platinum, etc. It really doesn't matter what color variant of angels you put in a 35 since they are the same species (P. scalare). Leopoldi angels can certainly be housed in a 35, but here's the problem. Leopoldi angels are extremely difficult to source and are almost wild caught. As for altums, they required a large tank (55 being the minimum) and are extremely difficult to keep.

3. Amcdonald58 Valued Member Member

Thank you for the education. I wasnt aware that there was only 3 species of angelfish. My tank is roughly 30x12x20. Does the height make a difference of being able to keep an angelfish.

4. Crispii Well Known Member Member

Height matters with angelfish. Out of the three angelfish, the altum angelfish is the largest reaching about 12" tall or more. The smallest of the three would be the leopoldi, which reaches about 4" tall. As for the scalare angels, they would reach about 6" tall for the most part, but can grow upward to about 10" tall.

Last edited: May 22, 2019