type of anemone? Question 

shawnw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
which is the best anmone to buy as a first time..... for my clowns and for looks?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on lighting. What type do you have?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Provided you have good lighting, the next question is what kind of clowns. Not all clowns will accept just any anemone.

IMO two good choices are the bubble tip and long tentacle anemone. They are hardier than some of the others. But I like to state I have both these anemones, plus a sebae and my false perculas wouldn't have anything to do with them. These anemones have been claimed by my clarkiI and tomatoe clowns now.

I read somewhere that false perculas will take to hadden's carpet anemones fairly easily.

shawnw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the t5, 2-10000/ and 2-420... not trying to buy asap.. but trying to do some reading on them... getting ppls suggestions.. and looking to see what my options are..

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind of clowns?

shawnw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
perculas

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably not enough light for anemones IMO, since your tank is 24" deep. Some clowns will host corals like torch, hammer, frogspawn... they have "tentacles" that looks kind of like a nem, if you think you might be interested in those.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All anemones and clowns come from different parts of the world that's why certain anemones prefer certain clowns . Or vice versa The thing to realize is that the area the clown comes from get the same type of anemone for that species. Study that species that you would like to have and learn about the other in that world that they live in. You can't go wrong!!!! Does that make since?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The anemones that are likely to be accepted by true perculas are Sebae, Ritteri, and Giant Carpet.

If they are false perculas than Ritteri, Giant Carpet, Merten's Carpet, and Haddon's Carpet

All of which are not good beginners anemones IMO.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With all this said, if it is a clownfish and he wants to host in an anemone that's "wrong" for him he'll do it. I've discovered that while yes, certain clowns will take to certain preferred anemones there's no reason why a clown wouldn't take to the wrong anemone. If that were the case clowns wouldn't host with different corals. He might not ever take to any anemone, and he might take to his preferred anemone over a non-preferred one, but if he wants to host and he sees an anemone there's no real reason why he wouldn't. And the anemone doesn't care because he doesn't know the clown is even there; it's not a true symbiotic relationship, despite popular belief.

BTW: While many clowns will host with corals it is not always a great idea. They tend to do some damage to them. Mine destroyed my tongue coral.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My frogspawn has never been bothered by it. Certain corals, sure, but euphyllias are tough corals and should be fine.

Without a lighting upgrade in this situation, I'm pretty sure that any nem will slowly die.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
as for lighting, mine keep shying away from the light. I have a six bulb T5 setup and no matter where I put them in there they hide.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads