Type of Algae?

mrjohn

Well Known
Just noticed a bunch of this on my driftwood. I think there is some on one of my Anubias plants as well.

Some type of Algae, hair algae maybe?

This is in the 20 gallon which just finished a total rescape. The tank is stable but I figured that I would avoid most algae due to how heavily planted it is. Maybe not?
IMG_20200807_223019.jpg

Cody

Well Known
Looks a lot like Staghorn, which is type of hair algae.

keep an eye on it and watch if it’s spreading to plants. Algae tends to grab onto weak or decaying growth. So being on driftwood is not too crazy, especially if it’s newer and still has some nutrients Slowly leaching out.

I had an outbreak at one point when I was dialing things in. But you are right that once you’re stable and established your algae should be minimal in a planted tank.

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Cody said:
Looks a lot like Staghorn, which is type of hair algae.

keep an eye on it and watch if it’s spreading to plants. Algae tends to grab onto weak or decaying growth. So being on driftwood is not too crazy, especially if it’s newer and still has some nutrients Slowly leaching out.

I had an outbreak at one point when I was dialing things in. But you are right that once you’re stable and established your algae should be minimal in a planted tank.
Thanks! I see it on the Anubias Frazeri which is slightly melting right now. It was the only plant that was grown emersed. The driftwood is new and never had the white film fungus issue so that makes sense. I suppose I could treat the areas directly with Easy Carbon or Hydrogen Peroxide. If treated this way, any idea what the chances are that it comes back with a vengeance?

Cody

Well Known
mrjohn said:
Thanks! I see it on the Anubias Frazeri which is slightly melting right now. It was the only plant that was grown emersed. The driftwood is new and never had the white film fungus issue so that makes sense. I suppose I could treat the areas directly with Easy Carbon or Hydrogen Peroxide. If treated this way, any idea what the chances are that it comes back with a vengeance?
From my personal experience, if you stay on top of it no. Just remove or spot treat the areas you do see it. And if you do suspect it’s spreading I would adjust lighting/fert schedules. But right now if it’s on a new piece of wood and a plant that’s not thriving and no where else I wouldn’t be too scared.

I noticed as my plants became more established and I trimmed old growth that the new growth never were touched by it. I think that’s where some people have issues because their plants are in rough shape and then some algae rolls in and takes over.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
You'll have less problem with this when your plants are actively growing and you have to thin and prune them.

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
So the algae is taking over. I switched the Nicrew over to a Fluval 3.0 and have it in auto mode with some adjustments. I figured that the blue lights from the Nicrew, the new driftwood, and some plant melt is contributing to the outbreak. I've never really had an issue with algae until I moved to that Nicrew.

Blue set to 3%
Pink set to 26%
Cool White to 50%
Pure White to 56%
Warm White to 49%

I took these percentages from a YouTube channel. The gentleman used these settings until the plants became more settled. At that point he raised the whites and so on.

The light pops on at 8am for sunrise and goes into the above mode from 10am-6pm. Then sunset mode from 6-8pm. From there, lights out until 8am.

I've also noticed green Spot algae which I believe hitchhiked over on plants from another hobbyist. I saw that before the staghorn.

I dose Easy Green and Easy Iron on Sundays after water changes. Then again on Wednesdays. Two pumps each for the 20 gallon. I've started using Easy Carbon again to help stunt the growth of algae. I also added a power head because I noticed foam building up at the surface. I've never had that issue.

The tank gets a 50% water change every Sunday and a filter and media cleaning on the first Sunday of every month. I use tank water to rinse and clean. I'm not sure why I'm getting so much protein buildup now but I think my old light caused the algae bloom.

I have also rehomed my Platy's, mollies, and guppies because they were chewing on my plants and causing a lot of dead floating leaves. My tank is left with 9 Ember Tetras and about 10 Neos.

So, from this information, any advise? The tank did go through a mini cycle that lasted a few days after the rescape.

Cody

Well Known
I would recommend having a max period of only 3-4 hours. And have it ramp up and down from whatever you determine your max to be.

Also from what you’re describing you’re dosing for high tech dosing with easy green. Maybe step that down to the low tech 1 pump per ten gallons for a few weeks and see if that helps. If your pumping in too much light with more nutrients than your plants need you will see the issues you have.

it can be a slow battle but once you find your balance, roll with it. I find/have read with the fluval lights that the blue spectrum can be an algae machine. I did find on mine when I set the blue minimum that it did help curb the hair algae I was having. I have the Aquasky so it’s a little different and less powerful than yours. But I originally dropped the blue down to 5% and maybe algae got under control. I bumped the blue up to 15 a few weeks ago with no I’ll affects.

E60951B5-D281-4274-B658-C4503E22F442.png

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Cody said:
I would recommend having a max period of only 3-4 hours. And have it ramp up and down from whatever you determine your max to be.

Also from what you’re describing you’re dosing for high tech dosing with easy green. Maybe step that down to the low tech 1 pump per ten gallons for a few weeks and see if that helps. If your pumping in too much light with more nutrients than your plants need you will see the issues you have.

it can be a slow battle but once you find your balance, roll with it. I find/have read with the fluval lights that the blue spectrum can be an algae machine. I did find on mine when I set the blue minimum that it did help curb the hair algae I was having. I have the Aquasky so it’s a little different and less powerful than yours. But I originally dropped the blue down to 5% and maybe algae got under control. I bumped the blue up to 15 a few weeks ago with no I’ll affects.

E60951B5-D281-4274-B658-C4503E22F442.png
Thanks for the information! I'll adjust the timing tonight and probably spot treat again tomorrow. Hopefully I start seeing results soon.

Cody

Well Known
It can be a pain and it takes tome but eventually it does work out! The hardest part is there isn’t a standard exactly. So many factors from tank to tank that make it challenging. After finding balance I learned why manufactures do not give you light setup suggestions. They rather you figure out on your own then tell you and have it be a disaster.

I forgot to mention to that I would stop dosing the iron all together for a little while too and see if that helps. I have read from a few sources that excess iron can really help algae thrive and I don’t think there is a lot of room for error to overdo it. Easy green has a some iron so it will still be there.

Either way keep playing and start moderate with lights and see if you find improvement and keep increasing/decreasing as you see fit!

OP
mrjohn

mrjohn

Well Known
Cody said:
It can be a pain and it takes tome but eventually it does work out! The hardest part is there isn’t a standard exactly. So many factors from tank to tank that make it challenging. After finding balance I learned why manufactures do not give you light setup suggestions. They rather you figure out on your own then tell you and have it be a disaster.

I forgot to mention to that I would stop dosing the iron all together for a little while too and see if that helps. I have read from a few sources that excess iron can really help algae thrive and I don’t think there is a lot of room for error to overdo it. Easy green has a some iron so it will still be there.

Either way keep playing and start moderate with lights and see if you find improvement and keep increasing/decreasing as you see fit!
Awesome. I just fixed the lighting schedule but the led setup is still in place. I was dosing iron for the red plants but I'll cut it out for now. I have clay in the substrate anyhow. Starting from scratch I guess. I have a c02 setup that was for another tank but that's on hold so I could hook it up to this one if these changes don't take hold.

New Threads