Tylomelania- anyone seen these guys before?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by harpua2002, Apr 5, 2010.

1. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I have the opportunity to get some tylos from a couple of suppliers and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go for it (they would be for sale, of course, lol). They look really cool in the pics, what do you guys think? Any experience with tylos? :)

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Oh cool Harpua. I've never owned them before but a LFS in my area carried them but I didnt know what they were. They called them MT snails which I thought was wrong. From what I observed they are really slow movers compaired to my mystery snails. The seem to kind of struggle with those big ole shells. So anything fast moving I would put them into the tank. Other then that I dont know much other then they look wicked! lol.

3. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

I wonder if they might make good tank mates for bettas. Hmm.... ???

4. Furallicah

I wouldnt dought it, they would fit in good with bettas I belive. My mysteries do well with my bettas. And seeing the tylos are small ish but grow to be a fair size I think they would do well....Harpua... Your making me want to go back to my LFS and get one....maybe two of them....grrrr. lol

5. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Suggested pH is quite different than for a lot of fish, I wonder how the tylos would do in water that is outside the preferred range.

6. Furallicah

Well depends do you keep your betta tanks at a slightly acidic ph? If so then Idk, but most snails and fish can adapt to levels that are out side their normal range. If you did get one I would acclimate it slowly for like an hour before adding him into the tank. Better safe then sorry there. My LFS I bought my mysteries from had a ph of 7.7 the ph at my house is 7.2 I acclimaated them for half an hour and they have been doing great.

7. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Yeah, much more info is out there about mystery snails though.

If I get any of these, they won't be for my tanks. I'll get them to sell to other hobbyists. The link above says that they may eat plants, so I don't really have a suitable display tank to keep them myself. The only non-planted tank I have has a parrot, Dempsey, botia modesta, and severum so that would be a no-go. LOL

8. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I love Tylomelania snails. Technically speaking, they're nothing more than really big, really fancy MTS.

They hate climbing and will rarely, if ever, climb up the aquarium glass, ornaments, or such. Instead, they are burrowers, preferring sand as a substrate. Also, they need some shaded, dark hiding spots (such as caves).

Tylomelania snails eat the usual snail food - fish food, pellets, and such. They also prefer slightly warmer temperatures of 76-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

From what I've heard, Tylomelania shouldn't eat too many plants. Maybe nibble on some, but not as much as most apple snails.

9. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Interesting. The link I posted above (the best source of info I've found so far) says that they aren't really burrowers. It also said that they prefer subdued lighting- good idea on the caves.

10. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw, I like them! Not much of a snail fan, but they're alright!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice