Tying moss to driftwood

1. katiemorrison94 Member Member

I recently got a piece of driftwood. I would like to tie some moss to it. Any one have experience doing this? I heard java moss is good to tie on the driftwood with clear fishline. Is there any other item i can use to tie the moss on? How much should i tie in one area?

Thank you!!!!

2. Mcasella Well Known Member Member

The how much question depends on what look you are going for. You can attach it to rocks, mesh netting (the hard plastic type that is used in cross stitching), and even to other plants, though I don't recommend the last one as it is hard to pry back off of it.
    I have a piece that has some java moss on it, but I just wedged it into a space on it and left it be, but mine have some interesting nooks and crannies in them, so you may not be able to copy that.

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I just tried superglue for putting plants onto stuff, it works wonders! I used the locktite brand(in gel form). It is 100% fish safe too!

4. Quibbles Member Member

I use a thread, and just strap it on to the wood. The thread begins to decay after a while, but by that time the moss will have secured itself. A clump is a good description of how much moss to use. That can be interpreted any way. Good luck!
    Edit: don't use heavily dyed thread.

5. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Clean rubber bands or my kids little elastic hair bands :)

unwaxed dental floss maybe

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard those fine mesh hairnets that food service workers have to wear are great for this sort of thing. Never got around to trying it though. I did buy a small package of 5 at the dollar store;)

7. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Does the wood have to be dry to attach with super glue? Ive already been soaking my driftwood trying to get it to sink.

8. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Your fish dont eat the thread once it starts decaying?

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No, super glue actually cures faster in the presence of water;)

Not that I've seen, though I can see it being an attraction! Something else I've seen used though I'm not sure of the safety of it, is rubber bands. Natural rubber, undyed. They hold the plants well but they're ugly and when they break down they simply break without snapping and then you can pull off the bits.

10. Quibbles Member Member

I never have had that happen.

11. Angels4 Member Member

[​IMG]

Here is one of my Java moss tied to a stone , I have a couple .I used the small fishing line .

12. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Thats probably what ill end up using. Thanks!!

13. Jaybally Member Member

[​IMG]

I dono if ya can see it the coral rock at the back if I tied moss to that would it eventually grow covering it all???

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Java moss will attach itself to just about anything it can get a grip on:)

15. Angels4 Member Member

Yes , it will grow over your entire rocks ! I keep mine cut back to just the one stone , I took a chunk out this morning , I dont want it to take over ha ha

16. Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

I just tie Java moss to my driftwood as well. I used stretchy thread (like used in beading jewelry). Has held up great and the moss is growing around it quickly.[​IMG]

17. Jaybally Member Member

18. Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member