Tying java fern

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by charitystripe, Dec 6, 2012.

1. c

charitystripe New Member Member

I currently have a java fern tied to a piece of decorative wood using fishing line. It's a very loose tie and the plant is semi floating in the water. Is that ok, or does it need to be tied very tight? I only have a 10g, so I have very small rock and wood in there.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would try to get it at least snug so the plant has a chance to grab on, if its always moving imo it'd be difficult for it to root to the object. Have fun with your fern. :)

3. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I leave mine loose to float around

4. Zevyn

Zevyn Valued Member Member

It's difficult to tie a knot by yourself without someone assisting to hold the first knot while you tie the second. There's probably a knot that can be done by a single person such as a noose, but I just ended up using small, black rubber bands to hold my plants down. They dissolve and break down over time; no issues with that in my tanks. I try to remove pieces that are visible when I can. By that point, the roots have grabbed the object, but they tend to be barely hanging on also. I use porous rocks that resemble limestone though, so they don't grab that well. Perhaps driftwood would be more ideal.

5. Matt B

If you can't tie the knot by yourself I have used the lead plant weights that come in strips for this purpose as well and they're very easy to bend around the "base" you're putting the fern on.

6. Matt B

In this picture of my 15g you can see how I wrapped the plant weight around the branch, this was about a month or so ago, now the fern is firmly attached.
    [​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    c

charitystripe New Member Member

That helps, thanks. I will try to get a 2nd pair of hands to tie it tightly. How long do you think it takes for the plant to firmly grab onto the piece without any weights, just fishing line or rubber band? Did yours take a full month?

8. Matt B

I wasn't trying to pull it off periodically so I'm not sure, probably anywhere from a few weeks to a month.
    With the fishing line, be careful of tying too tightly and slicing into the rhizome.

Cotton thread can also be used fo this purpose and it will disintegrate over time.

9. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Matt do you have any problems with it being lead? I know lead is bad for humans but have you had any problems with it in your tanks?

10. Matt B

I know, it sounds counter-intuitive to put lead in. I always have and never had a problem that I'm aware of, also the packaging for the weights states aquarium safe. Even though water is the universal solvent, I think its okay because lead doesn't dissolve easily or tarnish/rust. I would imagine the small amount of lead that is dispersed is never even close to being a dangerous level due to pwcs.

11. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

True true I just remember people coming out to make sure we didn't have lead water pipes that could make us sick. Bet I am showing my age now though!

12. Matt B

You actually make a good point! During my day job I run into lead piping all the time being in an old gold mining town.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice