Question Tying/gluing Down Plants??

RobinIsACattto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

Just out of curiosity, what types of glue are safe to use? I currently have non-toxic hot glue and Elmer's school glue, but I may have some gorilla glue around.

If that's not possible, is thread (like for sewing) usable?
If not those, what should I go out to get?

Thank you for the help!

~Robin

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Any glue with cyanoacrylate (super glue) is safe to use in aquariums. Sewing threads are fine to use, but they degrade over time. Fishing line is also often used.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello!

Just out of curiosity, what types of glue are safe to use? I currently have non-toxic hot glue and Elmer's school glue, but I may have some gorilla glue around.

If that's not possible, is thread (like for sewing) usable?
If not those, what should I go out to get?

Thank you for the help!

~Robin
You can use super glue GEL. Any other glue that does not contain cyanoacrylate (used in super glue gel) is considered toxic to fish. A lot of people use fishing line to attach plants to rocks driftwood or your basic sewing thread. Thread will disintegrate over time but your plants will adhere to your driftwood or porous rocks before disintergration starts. These are the glues I use to attach moss and rhizome plants. They are also used to attach corals and frags to SW tanks. Just make sure the glue cures before putting it in tank. If you put it back into the tank too quickly, the glue will cure faster and your plants may dislodge from the rock/driftwood.

image.jpg

RobinIsACattto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, thank you both!

I think I'll just go with thread for now (it's furniture grade and I have a ton of it), but if need be I'll get the flourish glue.

Thank you!

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, thank you both!

I think I'll just go with thread for now (it's furniture grade and I have a ton of it), but if need be I'll get the flourish glue.

Thank you!
You’re welcome. I forgot to mention... You can always use rubber bands too. I use the small clear rubber hair bands you find at your local drug store. They come in clear, black and brown they’re perfect to tie Anubias or java ferns to driftwood and so much easier than using thread or fishing line.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom