Two Weeks Old Honey Gourami Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 123, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 123

123Valued MemberMember

Hello :) Well, I did not think I would actually be able to keep the fry alive, but so far so good :joyful: It is 18 days old now, so I think I need some help now. This is first time ever that I am taking care of a fry. It is in improvised fry net in my big tank. I was dripping infusoria in 3x a day and also dropping in crumbs from regular fish flakes and dry food. I even put in piece of garlic and spinach leaf as I had no idea what it would prefer. So far it is alive. But Way too tiny to join other.

My questions are as follows:
    - How long does it take to honey gourami fry to grow big enough for other not to eat it? (the gouramis are biggest fish I have, other than them there is 3 Medaka and 5 Diamond Teras)
    - Can I feed it also something else? I recently read about cooked egg yolk? Would my other adult fish eat it too?
    - How long can I have it in the fry net? It is cca 1 liter big. I use my other small tank now as a quarantine.
    - Also there is suspicion of one fish having parasite and I am thinking to give the tank a dose of some medicine, would the fry be ok? Any suggestion on medicine?

2. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I would stay a way from the egg yolk, it pollutes your water really bad. Try micro or walter worms which seem to be a favorite for fish fry. Walter worms surive longer in the aquarium, but micro are easier to find.

3. OP
    OP

123Valued MemberMember

Thank you for tips! I am asking mainly because when I asked in my pet/akvarium shop whether they have infusoria for fry they did nto even know what that was... so I would rather know what Im looking for and find it on theirs shelves myself :)

4. DutchAquarium

Alot of times, you can't find micro or walter worms at your lfs because it's too warm for them. Check out aquabid.com. And just make the infusoria, lettuce leaves, oak leavs, tank water and ginger is my go to recipe.

5. OP
    OP

123Valued MemberMember

Wow ok, ginger too? Do I just put it in a bottle and let sit or?

6. DutchAquarium

thats the idea, I prefer dried ginger for my cultures. Actually, i don't think i've ever used fresh ginger, but probably dried works better. Make sure it has a light source, and that it isn't air tight.

7. OP
    OP

123Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much! :) I will look for dried ginger and oak leafs and do this! :)