Two tone substrate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by trijohn, Dec 3, 2012.

1. t

trijohn Valued Member Member

Used to be all black gravel, but added the white sand for my cories to play around in. What do you think? Cool, ugly, unique, good looking, fake looking, etc? Don't be afraid to voice your opinions. I don't mind :). I'll probably be adding more plants as well in the coming weeks.
    Thinking about doing all black sand for a cichlid tank in a few months.

Attached Files:

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I aprove(sp)! Did the same thing in my betta biotope, click on link in signature:)

3. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

my 29g is half black diamond blasting powder and half play sand it looks decent i approve of mixing :)

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I like the effect. The only gripe I would have is that eventually they will displace and get mixed together...

5. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Every one of my larger tanks is two toned. I would like to suggest adding a more natural colored gravel or even stones and pebbles to the other side. This is what I did and LOVE it... :)

6. OP
    OP
    t

I know. I originally intended for it to be neater and get something to divide both sides evenly, maybe shape the sand around the gravel like an island. Looking at it now, I kind of like how the black gravel spills over a little onto the sand. Makes me think of a shoreline.

7. OP
    OP
    t

That sounds interesting but what do you mean? Adding to the sand side? I would love to see some pictures.

8. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

This affect of the two-tone will eventually be a lot of work. I tried it once and it got mixed eventually by cleaning it over a period of time. I just went with all black diamond sandblasting sand in all of my tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice