Two Tiger Barbs Fighting

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by amydeb, Jul 15, 2015.

1. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Hi all,

My tank is pretty new, a 75g, cycled about 2 months ago. First fish were Giant Danios (a total of 6). Introduced TBs. The first 5 seemed to pick at each other a bit, worked out their pecking order and settled down. Brought the school to 11 (in 3's) with no problems. Introduced Corys. Still, everyone is pretty chill. Some chasing, seems like regular TB behavior. I don't see any evidence of them nipping other fish or each other (no fin damage, at any rate).

On Saturday, I introduced 3 green TBs. The new guys got right with the others, the established TBs didn't seem to give them any trouble. Tonight, two of the Greens started to fight. Chasing, bumping one another, lip locking.... full out fish brawl. After about 30 - 60 seconds of this, a GD would come and break it up, swimming between the two. They would go their separate ways for a bit, then it would start all over again.

It doesn't seem like only one is instigating. One will start it, get broken up by a GD and the other that got picked on first will go looking for the other and start all over. Neither of them are messing with any other fish. None of the other TBs are messing with them. It's just these two!

Is this a pecking order thing? I hate to admit that for all my reading about them, I am unprepared for this. I don't have another tank to move one of them to and I can't think of any way to separate them within the tank. Any suggestions?

Amy

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

The greens really need to be in a school of 5/6 fish also.
    This should help stop the dominance thing they are having

3. OP
    OP
    a

But they are the same species, I didn't think their color mattered?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the color doesn't matter. I would think it is a pecking order thing, but I wouldn't know. delta5 may know....

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

They're having their own private dispute about pecking order. They'll sort it out. I wouldn't worry about it, they won't do serious damage.

6. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks. This morning all seemed right in their world (I watched them over morning coffee ;) ) I figured it was a pecking order thing but, good grief they were serious about it! lol I never saw the others get as physical.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

You may want to check your male to female ratio. The males are smaller and thinner. Don't go off their color. But it does sound like pecking order. Also, if you notice any of them injured remove them or put them in a breeders net as soon as possible. In my exp TBs gang up on their own injured and it doesn't stop until the injured one is dead.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Man, talk about schooling and staying together for protection from threats... But this just seems like a case of Darwinism, survival of the fittest.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    a

I still haven't seen any more spats. And thankfully, no injuries.
    The fact that all the fish act like they are never fed works to my advantage. All I have to do is get close to the tank and they all come swimming over. Makes checking for injuries much easier.

10. OP
    OP
    a

Going to have to wait a bit on that. Different ages, so I have different sizes. The two brawlers are the newest and smallest. (go figure!) If I go by nose color alone, I probably have more males than females. The one who seems to be the ruler at the moment is definitely female. She's much bigger than the group she moved in with and no orange nose.

So, if I can't rely on color how do I know when purchasing fish? Though I am stocked, I am curious. It seems that the LFS puts new stock in with existing. Last time I was there, they had a few TB's that were about half the size of others. Some were down right tiny! How would I know since it's not safe to assume that all the largest and smallest of the group are the same stock/age?

11. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

If you buy all your TB at the same time it wouldn't matter much. All my TB had the orangish nose. It just means they're happy and doing good. As for buying at a young, You can look at their height and how thick they're. The two you bought prob wasn't accepted into the main pack right away and so they entered into a pack with each other.

This photo should give you an idea. If you were to look at these 2 TBs from the front the female will be more bloated look. mfTigerBarb.jpg

Early on you should notice that females grow vertically. Males will just grow in size. Now if your fish store has a good turn over rate, then you could prob pick out the females from the males. If they go on sale for a dollar I'd buy 6 that I think are female and remove some males once confirmed.

12. Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

Haven't seen my tigers lock jaws but they definitely have a pecking order that is interesting to watch when they are just swimming about the tank. One will "step out of line" and the boss in the school will chase him or her back to their designated position in the group.
    Hope your brawlers have calmed down!
    -T

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If you have an injured fish, put it in a quarantine tank. Breeders nets are not meant to keep injured fish in. And in all honesty they should not be used for anything.

14. OP
    OP
    a

Thankfully no injuries! Actually, I haven't seen them display any aggression since my first post. Who ever had hurt feelings is over it. Everyone is back to being cool.
    They have "discovered" the Cory Cats shrimp pellets and I think they are too busy looking for those to care about anything else! lol They are like pigs with fins!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice