Two tanks on one filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by LJC6780, Jun 30, 2016.

1. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

Never mind!

So I've been researching filters. I just got the idea ... is it possible to have 2 tanks on one canister filter? I have a 38 gal and a 20 gal.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

IMO, It would be very difficult.
    If you ran overflows in both tanks to a sump, then ran the canister off the sump, easier but impracticable.

3. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

It was just a thought ... I was thinking like the pet store setups that several tanks run off of one pump system ...

4. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

Canisters run using siphon overflow and a push return, next to impossible to regulate between to tanks.

5. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

Pet stores have a very intricate way of doing it usually when doing it that way.

You could possibly do it with a sump the way leftswerve described. You would need a return pump for each tank to control the water flow. So personally unless you hed close to as many tanks as a pet store might have, where you would have like a 100 gal sump, think the difficulties far outweigh the even possible benefits.

Issue I would see is, if you have a disease or anything in one tank, it will spread to the others.

6. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Makes sense ...

7. MinhMai

MinhMaiValued MemberMember

I prefer keeping things separate in case one tank catches a disease, they don't both catch it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice