Two Spot Rasbora Jumping Help

1. Manytanks

Manytanks Initiate Member

Hey all I'm desperate for some help of any kind.
    I have a two spot rasbora (elegans rasbora) in a 4ft tank with a few other fish and all day and night it constantly jumps.
    Every time I remove one of the lids it tries to jump and I constantly hear it hitting the lids especially at night.

I have tested water and the ammonia nitrite and nitrate are all perfect and pH is 8 (I know its high have had the fish for around 6 months and it was fine until about 2 weeks ago)

I'm just trying to figure out what the problem could be as I really don't want to lose this fish.

Thanks in advance

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Okay, first things first, what are these other tank mates? 2 spots are pretty small fish, and do better in schools; it gives them security.

My best guess is that either your tankmates are scaring them (especially at night...it’s dark and vision is reduced) and/or they are skittish from only having two of them in there.

3. OP
    OP
    Manytanks

Tank mates are 2x bala sharks, 1x red tail black shark, 4x rosy barbs, 1x tiger barb, 1x redback flying fox, 1x clown barb and 1x mystery snail.
    The rasboras the largest fish in the tank and at first I thought it could have been the tiger barb but it only chases the rosy barbs and it sometimes jumps when there's no other fish even near it.
    BTW there is only one of them and it did fine with the same tank mates in a smaller tank and after I resealed the 4ft up until a few weeks ago

4. KinsKicks

Okay, you have a bit of a stocking issue (but that can be addressed later!). The biggest thing that points out to me are the “sharks”. The red tails are quite aggressive, and bala sharks can be too and/or simply intimidating because of how big they are (and will be). As for being okay with them prior, behavior can really change at the drop of a hat. Maturity changes behavior, environmental conditions can change behavior, etc and a 4ft tank isn’t as much space as you think when keeping all of them together. It wouldn’t surprise me too much if you’re fish is doing to the equivalent of “freaking out” lol

5. OP
    OP
    Manytanks

The bala sharks are only temporary as I saved them from the toilet but I figured they'd be OK for a while cos they're only about 3-4 inches. The clown barb is also temporary to save it from certain death from a purple spotted gudgeon.
    The RTS spends most of its time in its cave and the bala sharks hang around the driftwood or play in the grass at the back of the tank

6. KinsKicks

Ah I see. Hopefully you can get a much bigger tank for them soon :). As for the RTS, they are nocturnal animals, I’d spy on him at night and see if he’s doing any hunting

7. OP
    OP
    Manytanks

Already tried that by borrowing my neighbors broken security cam and it only left its cave a few times in about 6 hours and from what I could tell only searched the bottom for food then went back to its cave (also learned that the only other fish allowed in that cave is the flying fox).
    It seems to be left alone but maybe the movement of the other fish not near it could be scaring it

8. OP
    OP
    Manytanks

Well the two spot rasbora finally escaped through a gap about ¼ inch big while I was floating a bag of fish. It was still alive when I found it on the carpet but sadly didnt make it and passed away within 30 minutes of being put back in the tank. R.I.P 2-spot you will be sadly missed