Two Small Goldfish In 10 Gallon Tank

1. New_gourami

New_gourami New Member Member

Hello,

I have two very small common goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I am looking to upgrade and put them into a 50 gallon tank. Is that plenty room for them to grow to their fullest size?

Also, I have two gouramis in a 5 gallon tank and will be placing them in the 10 gallon once the two goldfish are out of there. Is that a good idea?

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Well Known Member Member

No, and no. The goldfish will only reach their fullest potential in a pond. But they do tend to only grow to their environment so theres that. (Youd be looking at about 6' max in a 50)The 2 gourami need at least 20g for sure.

3. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Agree both a no. Comet goldfish can get HUGE. And the gouramis sometimes fight and need at least 10 gallons each. I have two in my 20 gallon and they still then bicker. So im moveing one to a 10gallon.

4. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Well Known Member Member

I once pulled up a 5lb fancy goldfish out of a playa lake lol so huge is an understatement

5. Barbara Manning

Barbara Manning New Member Member

Keep them in your 10 gallon tank and enjoy the view. Look to other fish to populate any larger tank you buy.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The minimum for singletails is 180 gallons. These guys get massive and need plenty of room to swim.

7. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

No to both. No goldfish will thrive or even survive in 10 gallon, especially not single-tails as they can reach nearly 18".

As for the gouramis, they should each have their own 20 gallon, or share a heavily planted tank of 50 gallons or more.

8. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

What kind of gourami do you have?