• Start date

WindyDayz

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10g divided
How long has the tank been running? 1 year
Does it have a filter? Two sponge filters
Does it have a heater? Yep
What is the water temperature? 78 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Two male bettas with a divider and 50-100 pond snails.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 40-50 percent
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Liquid Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 35ppm
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? A pinch of food consisting of 6-12 pellets.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega 1, Fluval and Northfin. The snails get my homemade food and lettuce, in a spot in the tank which the bettas do not have access too.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? I feed some blood worms and mysis shrimp every week.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? I've had both for 1 year. The snails have been in the tank since January.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a month ago.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargy, not eating, tipping on their sides occasionally, don't really respond to movement, and a few large white patches on one of the bettas but not the other.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I don't know what's wrong so no.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Both were healthy.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes, they both lay at the bottom of the tank all day and sometimes tip on their sides, one has stopped eating entirely (except for a few blood worms) while the other only eats a little. They both seem more ragged and have lost their natural shine? I guess, I don't know how to describe it lol. The one that has stopped eating entirely has a few large white patches on one of his sides.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now.)
About a few months ago I noticed one of my bettas was developing a white spot near his dorsal fin, I didn't mind it at the time and thought it was a natural color change since the spot wasn't fuzzy or anything. That betta just kept getting worse, jumping forward to a month from now he started looking more ragged and eventually one day I found him on his side and thought he was dead. Turns out he wasn't dead when he freaked out when I tried to remove him from the tank. He stopped eating and just lay on the bottom, and eventually the other betta started looking ragged too. The healthier one only eats a little now, and still swims around occasionally, but just lies there most of the time. They don't react whenever I get near there tank anymore like they normally do. and even when I give the tank a little wack they don't bother to move. I don't think they have a disease or parasites simply because the pufferfish who I feed the snails too would also have it if my logic is correct, and very fortunately the puffer is fine. I have not the faintest clue what is wrong with them and I hope someone could possibly help me out and have some answers. Thank you for any responses in advance :).

The picture is of the healthier betta, unfortunately the sicker one is in a bad position and I can't get a photo of him.

Attachments

ZMan1

If this is the healthier one, I’d be scared. Wow! She’s in terrible shape, hanging in to the last bit of life.

I’m no expert but a new betta enthusiast. I love these fish. However, in the pic, your betta may have velvet Judging by the rusty color on our friend. Hoping it’s just an overreaction but it is better to get a proper diagnosis ASAP. Prayers for your fish.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
I feel you may be overfeeding your fish if you’re feeding them 12 pellets a day each. Do you fast them at all?

flyinGourami

Well Known
If the "unhealthier" one is as bad as you say, I would euthanize. Its a touchy subject and up to you, but I feel that would be the best option.

Top Bottom