Two questions on scaping and stocking

PAcanis

I hope this is OK here. It didn't seem right double-posting it under Stocking and Aquascaping.

I watched this video a few times this morning

Like a lot of videos, it had me asking myself the same questions. And unlike the specific information usually included with videos on this channel, this video only had a list of the fish.

So my first question is: How big do you think this tank is? It seems to have some large fish in it. And I read all the recommendations for angelfish here. What with all the scaping, there doesn't seem to be much room for fish growth or having their own area. Maybe that's by design, as they all seem pretty calm. And there is even fry in the tank. Maybe it's a 100g tank and to me it just doesn't look that big.
I see a lot of these biotope display/contest tanks and a lot seem on the crowded side. The fry in this one though has me thinking this is his normal tank and not simply set up for a photo op.

And: What is that grass? I see a lot of tanks with suspended long grass in them. I really like that look. Is it something that can be purchased? Does it have a name? What is simply plucked from a field? How do you achieve that hanging suspended look? Do you suppose there is some sort of grid, or latticework, laying on top of the tank that he can attach his scape to?

Anyway, just wondering.

V1K

Really don't think it's grass from the field. I'm guessing it's something like pothos, or any kind of water plant that can grow emersed, and it's fixed to the many branches of the wood near the surface. An easier way to achieve hanging root look is floating plants like water lettuce or frogbit, but these are not it, the structure looks different.

A201

The pictured tank size is probably between a 125 - 180 Gal. Some of the fish look to be Severums, which can grow to 8- 10 inches. I'm not a plant guy, so no help there.

PAcanis

Thanks guys. Every little bit helps.
It would be nice to see this kind of tank set up from start to finish, just so I knew what was going on.

StarGirl

It does look like roots. Water Lettuce can have some pretty long roots and they get really big.

V1K

It does look like roots. Water Lettuce can have some pretty long roots and they get really big.
These don't look like water lettuce roots though. They branch out too randomly. Water lettuce root has central stems with evenly distributed side roots, like an upside-down fir tree.

PAcanis

Some of them do look green, like they are still alive.
I can't make out the hairs like floating plant roots have, but maybe not all water lettuce has them.
But there is that big clump at the start of the video that looks yellow and dead...

I really like what he's done there regardless.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Piaelliott
Replies
Views
qldmick
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views