Two Questions About The Aqua Clear 20

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Georgie Girl, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Georgie Girl

Georgie GirlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +91
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hiya. Still trying to decide on what filter to get for my five-gallon tank. The Aqua Clear 20 is the front runner, but I have a couple of questions.

First: what media would you put in it? The picture on the box shows foam, charcoal, and - ceramic things? I can't remember what those things are called, where much of the bacteria live. Would you put all three in your filter? Take something out and put in more of another? Put in something altogether different?

Second: I've heard there's a way to baffle the flow. A kind person, @baldegale, assured me that the flow is adjustable, and even posted a video to show me. It looks promising, but in case the lowest isn't low enough, I'd like to know how to build a baffle. Have you done this?

Thanks for your input. :)

2. baldegale

baldegaleValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    id add filter floss or the more known name “poly-fill” you can get a bag of it in the craft section at walmart for $5 it “polishes” the water and make it clearer. you have to replace it every couple weeks but its cheap. im still doing more research on the carbon because i think i read somewhere its not necessary but im not sure at all

3. jacob thompson

jacob thompsonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +307
    Experience:
    3 years
    Carbon isn’t really nessesary unless you are stripping medication from water. I use seachem purigen which filters out organic stuff like ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, organic waste, tannins, and so on. And a thing I do like with the aqua clear is how much freedom you have with your filter material unlike a lot of hob filters. If it will fit in the material compartment you can use it.

4. baldegale

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    shouldnt you wait til after the cycle to use this though? so the cycle works better?

5. jacob thompson

jacob thompsonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +307
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yes it’s best to use it after a tank is cycled because since it removes the organic waste it prolongs the cycle in most cases. So if you decide to cycle your tank with the new filter you should either use carbon or no chemical filtration if you don’t need it.

6. tocandesu

tocandesuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +278
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Building a baffle is really easy. I used to have one on my Aquaclear 20 in fact.

I used a plastic water bottle baffle. Any plastic water bottle works. You'll need some scissors.

1. Remove the label
    2. Rinse the bottle
    3. Make two cuts on the bottom where the red lines are
      1. a8OiQP1.
      2. You should end up with something like this
      3. FWMjMoo.
    4. Cut the bottle again on the red line
      1. ekVDFU9.
      2. You should end up like this (ignore the tape for now)
      3. pv6cSw2.
    5. Your baffle is complete. You can put it on your filter (with tape if it doesn't hold)
    6. Here it is on my Aquaclear
      1. 8b87w4r.

7. AmStatic

AmStaticValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +281
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    On my HOB I wedged a piece of bio foam between the outlet ramp and the lid... It diffused the output, and was additional biological media! Win!

8. E150GT

E150GTValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I just put on AC20 on my 5 gallon tonight. I ditched the carbon and am using the sponge and biomax. I also put a prefilter sponge. I’ll see how it does and maybe add floss if needed. I haven’t yet on that tank. The 29 gallon with the aquaclear 70 does need the filter floss as my water doesn’t get polished very well without it.

9. baldegale

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    another thing i just realized you can do, if you plan on setting up another tank you can just get another bag of bio max and replace the carbon with it, that way when you setup and want to cycle the new tank itll jumpstart the cycle. (im actually gonna do this soon)

10. baldegale

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    also, ive seen some suggest that if you use the carbon, switch the place of the carbon and the biomax

11. Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +55
    I have the ac70 on my 60 gallon and I have the sponge and prefilter along with biorings and bioballs. The rings and balls are from Amazon CNZ brand I think. They are better than biomax imo and enough for 3 ac70s is like 15 bucks.

12. OP
    OP
    Georgie Girl

Ratings:
    +91
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi, E150GT. What is a prefilter sponge? An extra sponge you add somewhere, is that right? Where do you put it?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    Georgie Girl

Ratings:
    +91
    Experience:
    1 year
    Replace it every couple of weeks? Does it not house some beneficial bacteria, too?

14. baldegale

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    maybe im not sure. but every place ive seen is replace it every week or two cause itll turn brown

15. tocandesu

Ratings:
    +278
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    It will house some of your beneficial bacteria, but most of it will be in the biomax. So it will be okay to replace it.

16. baldegale

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    would it be okay to have two bags of biomax?

17. tocandesu

Ratings:
    +278
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes it is. However, if your stocking is light, say one betta and some shrimp, an additional bag of biomax would be a waste since there isn't enough fish waste to sustain a large number of bacteria in the area of two bags of biomax.

18. baldegale

Ratings:
    +122
    Experience:
    Just started
    my stocking is gonna be 3-4 dif schools of neons in a 29 gal and some shrimp

19. Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +55
    The biomax or bio rings house the bb. The prefilter goes on the intake of the filter and helps add space for bb and get most of the big stuff before the main filter media.
    Filter floss can be reused as far as I know, even the cartridges for penguins and other lower end filters are reusable. The floss they use is just rinsed and placed back in the filter. The manufacturer wants to sell more of the parts so it is in their best interests to have you replace it more often.

In my ac70, I have the sponge and biorings. You can have any am lol until of anything you want as long as its submerged. If you want, and have a prefilter sponge, you could have just biorings in the main compartment.

20. tocandesu

Ratings:
    +278
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Go ahead and add a second bag of biomax in that case