Two Plecos, One Sick Help

1. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? It is lethargic and has been for a couple of days moving only when it needs to and other is acting completely normal.

Sick one:
    8d7857c2b8e1d46a23b4946984f6d627.jpg

Normal one:
    fa606bef786d912be6183bd7b1cc5e95.jpg

2. kuhlkid Member Member

What do you feed them?

3. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Hikari Algae wafers, Sera Catfish Chips with zucchini and sea weed in a clip as treats every couple of days.

Haven't noticed the sick one eating today and even when I placed an algae wafer directly beside it it just laid there without moving.

4. kuhlkid Member Member

Sounds good. I just ask because the sick one looks emaciated and pleco underfeeding is such a common issue. Water parameters are alright? And do you have somewhere you can quarantine the sick one?

5. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Water parameters are good. I'm sure I could take it out and put it somewhere but I'm afraid to stress it. I'm hoping it isn't parasites or something. I'm so worried about it. I put the water directly beside it and it had no interest. Tank is reading 0, 0, 10 which is normal. Tank mates are another lemon BN pleco, four mystery snails, 2 guppies and around 20 RCS.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Did you QT the fish? Have you medicated the tank at all? May as well be parasites but I would find that a bit weird, specially since you say it was doing OK. Once fish stablish in tanks it is weird for them to get sick, they are usually strong enough to fight disease on their own. Did you ever see her poop? And do you have a belly shot? Have you added any new stuff that could carry disease recently?

7. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Nothing new in the tank besides some RCS for weeks. They were the last thing I added actually and that was awhile ago...3 weeks ago. I haven't really paid attention to see if it was pooping but they were both the best of friends and did everything together and both ate and moved around fine. This is just totally out of the blue. No one else in the tank is having any issues. I have no idea why it is looking so thin :( I just put a different algae wafer beside it. It didn't flee and refused to touch the wafer. Hasn't been seen on the zucchini either when normally it was on there right beside its friend. I'm getting bummed. Don't want to lose it.

I am probably going to do a water change tonight or maybe in the morning. Maybe that will help out a little. :(

8. kuhlkid Member Member

I can't say conclusively what this might be as my firsthand experience with fish disease is limited, but at this point I'd suspect internal parasites. I think it'd be worthwhile to QT the little guy, and start treatment for parasites. (Do some research of your own on treatment products, but I like Seachem as a brand and keep their ParaGuard product on-hand for situations like this.) Unfortunately, since plecos are scaleless, they're particularly sensitive to chemical treatment. Any medication you use you'd want to use in minimal doses, maybe start at 50% and watch for signs of stress.
    I've also heard that garlic can be a food enhancer for fish, and it might encourage your pleco to eat. There are a variety of products for adding garlic to your fish's food.

9. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I will try soaking a wafer in garlic juice and see if that works. I don't know what's going on but it's a real bummer.

10. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I agree with kuhlkid. Try the garlic. It may entice his appetite and boost his inmune system enough so he can get better, I would consider deworming everything tho. Based on its to active ingredients, API General Cure is a very good medication for internal parasites. Dont just treat the plecos in QT, dose the whole tank. Metronidazole and Praziquantel (the two active ingredients) dont affect the biological filter, nor plants, and are soft on the fish but hard on the disease.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Try to.feed some protein. These fish are omnivores and as juveniles need some to grow. Try some shrimppellets / bloodworm/etc

12. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I do add occasional brine shrimp for the guppies as well as flakes that have high protein content. I soaked a wafer in garlic juice and placed it near the pleco. Haven't seen it move to touch it but maybe it will eventually. I will grab some meds tomorrow and try to treat but no other fish seem affected in the slightest and this pleco has been showing signs for about 3 days. It started with it only attaching to the filter housing in the back of the tank and just sucking onto it and hanging around without moving but today there has been almost no sucking on anything in the tank.

Tummy pic from the first day I noticed something was up:
    [​IMG]

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

What meds will you use ?

14. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

It didn't make it :(

15. kuhlkid Member Member

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Plecos can be delicate. I hope the rest of your fish are hanging in alright.

16. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Thank you. No idea what happened to that one but now it's friend is lonely so I'm going to see if the LFS guy will replace it. If not it has to wait awhile because I don't really have the money to replace it at the moment sadly. They really loved each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

sorry to hear

18. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Everyone else in the tank is acting normal. I think this was just a one off. Possibly just an unhealthy baby that wasn't intended to make it in the world. I went and picked up the last lemon they had today and it is a lot smaller. About 1.5 inches or slightly less. It's cute and I'm hoping much more healthy since it has been living there for the same time my other has.

19. scarface Well Known Member Member

Oh no not the Yin Yang twins :( Sorry for the loss. Hope this fellow does better.

20. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Right?! I am so heartbroken. I told the LFS store guy that the other one is hiding more like he's heartbroken and he said "People always say that but fish don't have feelings like that and you can just leave it alone. Maybe it's sick like the other one." Well that's funny because as soon as I put the new one in and they checked each other out it stopped hiding and even shared its algae wafer with the new one. It definitely likes having a friend no matter what that guy says.