Two Pea Puffers In A 5 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by guppylover228, Apr 18, 2017.

1. guppylover228

guppylover228Valued MemberMember

I was wondering if I could have two pea puffers in a densely planted tank with lots of line of sight breaks. It's heavily filtered and I would do twice a week water changes. Is the one puffer per 5 gallons a rule based on aggression or water quality? Or both? I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have kept puffers before.

2. wem21Well Known MemberMember

I would keep it to 1 puffer in the tank, a 10g would be better though.

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

1 in a 5g or 1 in a 10g? Now I'm curious. I had one for a while and then my sister sucked it up the hose when she was cleaning the tank.

4. OP
    OP
    guppylover228

I've always heard 3 in a 10 gallon

5. wem21Well Known MemberMember

1 in a 5g would be bare minimum

6. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

This site suggest a minimum of 5 gallons per pea puffer. One of the reasons is that they get territorial so I would not suggest trying to squeeze two of them into a small tank. I'm assuming that males are more territorial than females, but it is not advised to only have one female to one male, so getting one male and one female isn't really an option either.
    I suggest you just get one.

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

I disagree.

With heavy planting I do think you could house two in a 5 gallon tank. I've had 4 in a heavily planted ten with no issues other than the fact that I couldn't get the little things to eat. Wasn't stress related, they all had their own territory and I never say and aggressive behavior of any kind.

Two in a heavily planted 5 would be absolutely maximum however, and if you haven't kept puffers before I really suggest you stick to one. They're fussy and they take some getting used to.

8. Kiks

@MikeRad89 Not being able to get your pet to eat is a pretty serious issue and it could very well be related to the lack of tank space.
    I've never heard or read anywhere someone suggesting putting more than one pea puffer in a 5 gallon tank. At most I've read 5 gallon for one and 3 gallons extra for each additional puffer. I'm sure that with a lot of filtration and knowledge you could keep two alive in a 5 gallon - or 4 in a 10 gallon, but I wish it was more about making fish thrive and giving them the best instead of "how many can I get?"

9. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

As I said, for a beginner I don't recommend more than one in a 5.

I've been keeping fish for over 10 years now and pea puffers gave me some issues. They're not easy fish to keep.

The majority die fairly quickly.

10. wem21Well Known MemberMember

Its really sad that ppl see them in pet stores and get one, without knowing how hard it is to keep. The fish shouldnt suffer for the owners wrongdoing

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    guppylover228

Hey guys thanks for you advice. I think I'm gonna end up converting my 15 gallon into a home for 4 of them as I really want more than one. Thank you for your advice!

12. Kiks

Sounds nice. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice