Two Of These Fish Are Not Like The Others

1. Cazeil

Cazeil Valued Member Member

I bought what I thought were six bleeding heart tetras but it turns out that two of them are different. They don't have the red spot "heart". They are more light rose colored than kind of greeny yellow and the coloring around their eyes is different. Their dorsal fins are differntly colored as well. They seem to school all together, though. I am thinking that the two might be white fin rosy tetras. What do you think? Pictures... IMG_3085.jpg IMG_3088.jpg

The first picture is one of the bleedingheart tetras and the second picture is the two that don't look like the other four. That last picture is one of each.

Attached Files:

2. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Valued Member Member

They might be Rosy Tetras... Over time, Rosy Tetras will become much more of a deep pink hue with white fins. The ultimate Valentine's fish combo!

3. OP
    OP
    Cazeil

Would you agree that they are not bleeding hearts? Or are bleeding hearts sometimes without their distinctive coloring?

4. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Valued Member Member

Unless if they are "lower-grade" Bleeding Hearts, or if they are not mature enough to show adult coloration, then I think they are Rosies. They don't seem to be stressed out too much which makes me think Rosy.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The extra two are definitely Rosy Tetras. They are related to the Bleeding Hearts, but lack the red spot on the flanks. Not sure I'd consider them White Fin Roseys, black markings are too evident.

6. OP
    OP
    Cazeil

Ah, you're right, they are not white fin rosies. I didn't know about "just" rosies. That's definitely what they are. They all seem to get along fine and shoal together and I like the variety.