Two Of My Kuhli Loaches Died In My Canister Filter

ap4lmtree
I found them today. =(

one was a pangio kuhliI and one was a pangio olango.

Before they died, I had 6 Pangio Kuhlii, 6 Pangio seminicta (still have them), and 6 Pangio oblango. Now I have 5 of the first and last kind.

I blocked the output of my fluval 206 with a sponge, and the only way they could get to the canister filter is through my surface skimmer, which is the intake that I previous thought was too narrow for them to get past

If you have this and how do you block it from kuhlI loaches?

Being that these two kuhlI loaches got in the canister filter, these were most likely the most adventurous and personality wise of the bunch. I almost want to buy like 2 or 3 of each instead of 1 of each to replace them because maybe I could have better chance of getting ones with similar personality.

I think I will do that becasue this hurts. So, I will have a total of 7 of each or 8 of each instead of 6 of each in my 20 gallon high, but it is oaky. I will also upgrade my filter or add an additonal one, an hob one, maybe

I had a feeling to check my canister filter like last week and the week before, but I was too lazy and thought the skimmer space was too narrow. =(

The skimmer is currently above water position, but sometimes if I don't adjust it properly, it could stay below water for hours until I notice it.

514%2Bma7xC8L.jpg

PTLm1DV.jpg

RHb4WQM.jpg

Advertisement
2211Nighthawk
Pardon me for being dumb, but why do you need a skimmer for a freshwater tank?

I'd say put some kind of netting over it but then that kinda defeats the point of a surface skimmer.

ap4lmtree
Pardon me for being dumb, but why do you need a skimmer for a freshwater tank?

I'd say put some kind of netting over it but then that kinda defeats the point of a surface skimmer.

Good idea, ill put some netting over it, I was going to put a sponge, but netting would be better.

now, should I have 7 of each kuhlI loach or 8 of each kuhlI loach?

Advertisement
2211Nighthawk
I think 21/24 kuhlis is pushing it. (If you have 3 species) I was told 12-15 for my 20 gallon high. It's not just about filtration, but space for them to swim. I personally would stick with the 18-19 (?) you have.

Also, I always though kuhlI was the fish and that black kuhlis were just a colour morph of the usual striped ones.

Edit: ok, just looked up those scientificy names and they're all the same fish. KuhlI is the name, those are just colour morphs of the same fish. So technically you don't need 6 or any number of each "species" because they're all the same.

ap4lmtree
I don't think pangio olonga and pangio kuhliI are morphs, but different species

one is java loach and one is kuhlI loach

2211Nighthawk
This is what seriously fishy says.
"Species in the P. khulii and P. oblonga groups had previously been separated largely on the basis of colour pattern, i.e., barred vs. plain brown, but in the molecular analysis the barred species grouped within the brown. They also display a high degree of morphological affinity with simlarities in body shape and the number of vertebrae."

So it kinda sounds like they were separate at one point but now are grouped as the same fish...? Just one is a weird looking sister? I have no idea, I'll take your word on it but I still think 21 is too many for a 20gH. Someone with better stocking knowledge can pipe in on that.

ap4lmtree
Since a net or sponge would obstruct too much, I think I can do without a sponge or net by just not being stupid by keeping the base higher and so the top won't ever go too low because of the base.

To address your other point, this is a Surface Skimmer rather than salt water Protein Skimmer. It takes care of food, slime and protein or any particles on top of the water. There are slits on the base, so it can be adjusted to get water from the base too, and so it also takes care of lots of fish poop.

if these aren't different species, then are they different subspecies?

2211Nighthawk
Since a net or sponge would obstruct too much, I think I can do without a sponge or net by just not being stupid by keeping the base higher and so the top won't ever go too low because of the base.

To address your other point, this is a Surface Skimmer rather than salt water Protein Skimmer. It takes care of food, slime and protein or any particles on top of the water. There are slits on the base, so it can be adjusted to get water from the base too, and so it also takes care of lots of fish poop.

if these aren't different species, then are they different subspecies?
Ok.

Kinda sounds like it. Cause they are definitely closer then cousins. At least from my understanding.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
roscoeb
Replies
Views
MalognaSandwich
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views