two new tanks set up and advice

1. Andy N kat Initiate Member

hope this is the right place.
    I have 2 new tanks one is a 125 gallon glass tank and a 180 gallon acrylic as well. I want to do a saltwater and a discus tank. Im not sure which one should I do with each.

I have a dry box and that is it for both right now. I will have to get the powerheads, skimmers, new lighting and any other filters I may build or buy. Im trying to save as much money as I can.
    im wanting to do live sand and maybe a few live rocks for looks and fish in the salt, both tanks are 6' feet long.
    Im a disabled combat vet and this has been very therapeutic for me with my 45 gallon tank freshwater.

Im going up under the house in the next few weeks to support the floor joist just to be safe so I have time. I also want to know around how much time I should wait before I introduce fish for each tank the fresh and the salt. I know the salt is going to be work and I wont start them both up at the same time, was wandering on what would you all do?

I have only ever had fresh water tanks and had same tank for around 15 years. Salt water is new to me but I have been reading and doing my research. The salt I was some really vibrant colorful fish (as most seem to be) and for my fresh water I want to run a discus tank with some other fish, I want them both to thrive and really excited about getting started, I have plenty of time and want to do it right as cheap as possible also. Im very mechanically inclined and can build most things that I may need to.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the spelling

2. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Just want to say welcome to Fishlore. Don't worry about the spelling, predictive text can be terrible.
    Don't think there is much I could help you with right now. You have experience with freshwater, so you should be squared away with that. But with tanks that large, maybe a sump would be your best bet for filtration. I have no experience with saltwater, but I'm sure the saltwater members will give you great advice.
    Also, from one Veteran to another, thank you for your service.

3. Andy N kat Initiate Member

Thank you as well,

4. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Yes, thank you for your service! I personally would start with the freshwater aquarium. I have no experience with salt water, but I think that it would take you longer to complete than the freshwater aquarium since you already have experience. A Discus tank would be beautiful because they are so colorful!