Two new Honey Sunset Gourami.

1. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I picked up two of these at the LFS today. I've always liked Gourami's so excited to get a couple finally. They had three and I sure wouldn't mind having that many but I held back. :D From my understanding, it's best not to add any more no matter the type, correct?

So far, the Zebra Danio I have don't seem to care about the new additions. I took this video just after I released them. Sorry for the quality as my phone can only do a real small resolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-AjmTAs0oQ

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

They're beautiful! Thanks for sharing the vid.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

i like them too... the color is so pretty

4. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I love them, just make sure they don't get too stirred up with a fast current

5. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, the water level is a bit low so I'm slow adding water back so the filter output isn't so strong.

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

It's been 24hrs and I've not seen any problems between the fish so thats nice. But, one seems to just bounce around on the bottom. I took a pic of the fish just sitting there to see if anyone has an idea on what its doing.

I've seen it go up maybe half way up the tank then it will just slowly go down then pretty much bounce off the bottom. Is the fish just having a harder time adjusting to my tank then the other?

Attached Files:

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

After 24 hours, they really should have adjusted. Perhaps it's stressed with the other gourami or the fast moving danios. Did you lessen the current?
    Were they acclimated to the tank slowly?
    Maybe try adding more plants to break up the line of sight.
    For now, keep your eye on things.

8. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I added water up to the top of the tank so the filter output isn't so strong, other then that I wouldn't know how to make it slower. For acclimating, I put the bag in the tank and removed some of the LFS water then I slowly added a cup or so of mine over 80 minutes.

When I did the evening feeding, the fish did make it's way up to the top and then slowly went back to the bottom. I did some further research and sadly, it appears that my fish is showing signs of the Dwarf Gourami Disease. Seems one of the first signs is lethargic and the fish is certainly that.

If the fish shows signs of the next stage, I think it would be best if I put him out of his misery. Any idea on what is the quickest and non-painful way of doing that?

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh no, I'm so sorry.
    I lost 2 DG's from this disease. Sadly, I didn't learn my lesson from the first one I lost and got another. It's horrible for such beautiful little fish.

Personally, I'd wait a bit. The behavior he's showing can be a symptom of other things, not just DGD.
    I've been doing a little reading and from what I gather, they don't do well in community tanks.
    Perhaps the little guy is just stressed.
    Can you move them to a tank of their own?

If you decide putting him down is your best course of action, here's a thread for you to read:
    Humane method of Euthanasia for sick fish

10. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Oh sure, I gonna let him have a fight but I just got back from the store and the poor guy is almost fully on his side now on the bottom. He still moving his feelers and breathing. I'm going to do like 15% water change now and see if that gives him a boost.

The other Sunset is doing just fine. Isn't bothered with the Danios at all.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm really sorry. Can you put him in a Q tank so he doesn't get picked on?
    Since he's a labyrinth fish, he'll need to get air so it should be shallow.

12. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Sadly, I don't have another tank yet.

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Quick and dirty quarantine setup
    Hello Mosin. The above link may help you with a DIY quarantine set up. Sorry to hear the fish isn't feeling up to par. I hope it's doing better this morning. Keep us posted. Hopefully he just needs more time to adapt.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

14. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Well, the dogs woke me up quite early this morning to go potty. I checked and as I feared, the poor guy didn't make it. I took him out and put him in a container as I plan on taking him back to the store tonight.

Ya know whats funny... ever since he was fighting for his life the other Sunset has been more active. I don't mean like attacking the other or anything but just swimming around. Before, it would just kinda stick to a corner. When I left for work, the Sunset was front and center so a mixed blessing.

So, gonna use the store credit to buy a small heater to heat up my change water as I'm tired of doing it little by little all day. :D

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really sorry. :(

Imo, you don't need a heater to heat the new water.
    You can adjust the tap (by feel) to about the same temp as the tank water.
    But, it's always good to have an extra heater just in case!

16. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, it was a rough night for pets in and out of water.

I'm too paranoid to actually do something like that, haha. I also recall that some of those cheap 5g tanks don't come with a heater so whenever I get one, I'll be set.

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:happy0034:

18. Melissawater Member Member

You can also you a mercury thermometer to test the water temp. I bought mine from the Walmart fish aisle for about $3 and use it to make sure the water temp is correct...I know I'm OCD lol.

19. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Ha, I already beat you to it! I bought one last night for under $2. A co-worker today told me about another locally owned pet store that deals exclusively with fish so I plan on going there tonight and doing some recon. They said thats the only place they buy their saltwater fish so I'm quite interested.

20. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost one of your honey sunset gouramis.:(