Two More Move Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by angelfishguppie, Jun 19, 2018.

1. a

angelfishguppie Valued Member Member

Recommendations anyone, on moving fish? (Moderaters please move to a more appropriate subforum...if there is one)

1. New idea this morning: Is a taller 5 gal bucket or a larger (but shorter) 10 gallon plastic tote better for moving large angels?

The tote would allow me to set up sponge and HOB filter to keep my BB and fish healthy while I empty the substrate out of the tank.

The 5 gal buckets have the advantage that I can more easily lift them.

Of course I can do the sponge filter in either but I will have to use 3 to 4 buckets as opposed to 2 totes.

2. Would you move fish and set them up in a larger aquarium with different city water and then after 3 days go on a 6 day vacation? Or leave them in old tank and old city until after vacation.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

How far is this move?

You should be alright with the 5 gal bucket. I think lifting a tote full of water has major disadvantages, such as the tote isn't made to carry water and transfering water, a tote is only suppose to carry light items at a stationary place. Hence the reason why many use Totes for QT systems, your not really lifting it.

I treat this like it's a new fish going into a new tank. So once your tank is set up I would actually leave your fish in a large tote as a temp tank until you get all the measurements to what you want. Than I would actually acclimate them so they are used to the water. If the system shows that it good and there's no ammonia or nitrite problems I think your good to go, but keep an eye on it.

3. OP
    OP
    a

angelfishguppie Valued Member Member

Move is under an hour by car. It will take a bit of time to get the tank taken apart and reassembled but I hear your point, I can put them in the tote on arrival while I work with getting the substrate and plants set up.

I haven't tested it yet but I think I'm going from fairly soft water to something a bit harder so a slower acclimation will be ok.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

When I moved and had fish I put them all in the 5 gallon bucket and put a lid or some saran wrap over the top and poked holes. I filled the bucket with tank water, about 50% since that's all I needed. My move was about a 45 min drive. You should be ok.

The tank should be the last thing to move and the first thing to set up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice