Two Months Later I Fixed The Problem With My Oscars

OldFort Exotics

I have been battling a issue with my Oscars for about 2 months but I have figured out the problem and got it fixed now, so wanted to share just in case any else has it problem. It is a long story so hang with me.

Quick back story I enjoy keeping Oscars and I have keep them for years. My current pair are about 2 years old(8" long). These two are different from my other Oscars they are big scared cats, they freak out when I do water changes, and don't seem to like being alone. I wanted to add a few fish that would be big enough to not get eaten and give the tank more activity. I found a group of 4 silver dollars at a good deal so picked them up (I know small group). Everything was doing great no aggression, everyone growing well, only thing was the oscars still freaked out for a few hours after water changes. This lasted 16-18 months

About 2 months ago I noticed white area on the larger Oscar, a few days later it was on the both. It wasn't Ich or anything else I had seen before but I feared it was Hole in the head or some other fungus. I moved them to a 55 gallon and started treating with salt and water changes every day, 2 days later the area where getting better but left them for 2 weeks to be sure it was all gone. They didn't eat much while in the smaller tank and really stressed out so didn't want to leave them too long.

At this time no other fish in the 150 gallon showed any signs of illness, I thought this might because maybe the Oscars where more prone to Hole in the Head or something. At the time in my head it made sense. I decided to setup a DIY overflow so I could do more water changes and have the water level not drop as much. I hoped this would give me cleaner water and freak out the Oscars less. With the new system Nitrates stayed less than 5 so thought it would help. Moved the Oscars back to their tank and all was good for about a week. The Oscars where doing great, they where more active then ever before and eating well. Then the white area came back on the Oscars, I was blown away.

Gave it a few days to be sure but it was the same thing. Pulled the Oscars again and started treating, the area got better faster this time. I took more time really looking at the fish and I realized it wasn't white spots it was scales damaged or missing. Again after a week the Oscars where doing good again so moved them back to the 150. After a few weeks the white areas where back.

At this point I knew something in the 150 was causing the issue but didn't know what. I thought about leaving the Oscars in the 55 gallon but really didn't like that idea. I even thought about taking the 150 gallon down all together and starting over. Talking to local fish keeper he was telling me how he saw Silver Dollars kill Angels and every other fish in the tanks but I thought "no way these guys are peaceful". But I keep thinking about this,I even searched photos of piranha thinking maybe they where mislabeled. I pulled them from the tank over the weekend and put them in the 55g, and the spots on the Oscars started healing up.

I never would have guessed the Silver Dollars where picking at the scales on the Oscars, I assume it is at night when they are sleeping because the Oscars are twice as big and could move away. And they never messed with any other fish in the tank or showed this behavior when I was in the room. If it wasn't for my wife I would take these guys to the LFS and be done with them but she has named them John, Paul, George and Ringo (Beetles) so I will have to find a place for them. But it won't be with any other fish.

AWheeler

I watched a video not long ago where a guy put silver dollars (I'm pretty sure that was what they were) in with his Arrowana and the silver dollars went after it too!

OldFort Exotics

I watched a video not long ago where a guy put silver dollars (I'm pretty sure that was what they were) in with his Arrowana and the silver dollars went after it too!

Wow I really thought they where peaceful fish. I kinda expect my convicts or green terror to cause issues some times but not these guys.

AWheeler

I've never had any, but anytime I see them in a tank they remind me of a Piranha. I know they are related to them, so I just stay away assuming they have the potential to get nasty.

OldFort Exotics

I never thought of them being related but after seeing what they did I was surprised how close they looked to each other. Lesson learned for sure and glad it didn't wasn't a big mistake but it could have been.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
Deshik
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views