Two Male Rams, Belly Up Out Of Nowhere

1. E

Emmylee43 New Member Member

Help! I'm actually heart broken over this. My rams had paired off and were completely fine and healthy. No sign of sickness, nothing. All I noticed was their fighting habits. My two females are alive and fine, everyone else in the tank is happy. Water is clean, no nitrates no nitrites, temperature of water stays at 78 degrees or warmer. a944b06408ff1a150dcb9b0e0b889ef8.jpg
    Both were healthy males. 4381484787e746dfe488168f469fcd66.jpg
    Vibrant color, good active attitude. I'm very heartbroken over this. No one new has been introduced into the tank.

c38b7df7e89a9166c5c28d816404b77d.jpg
    My females. e8331734f5373acca5a5476d33427f2b.jpg
    Both healthy, happy and active. No fighting whatsoever.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How long has the tank been setup?
    How long have you had them?
    Is there any ammonia? 0 nitrates sounds like an uncycled tank.
    Tank size?
    What is the full stocking?
    Any symptoms before death?

3. OP
    OP
    E

Tank has been set up for over a year or two now with water changes of a third of the tank. I just use Prime that removes nitrites, ammonia, anything bad for the water. I constantly clean and change the filter. I add in Neutral Regulator for a pH of 7. Last I checked when I added in new water( I test my water before I add it to tank) no nitrate, no nitrite, no chlorine no ammonia pH was 7.0 and everything was regular. Haven't done a water change with them in the tank yet, I've had them for about a week and a half. Never showed any signs of sickness. The two males just fought over their territory and females constantly.
    I have two pearl gouramis
    One Roseline barb
    One platy
    One dwarf gourami
    It is a 55 gal. 48x15 In I believe if measured correctly. 8db367fd2a2d08a15b3dfc6172934fd5.jpg
    I want to say they fought to death. Only thing I noticed by the end of the night was one male retreating to a corner.

4. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

The problem with the water is that you should be showing Nitrates

5. OP
    OP
    E

I worded it badly. When I add in my water to the tank the added water has no nitrates. This tank has been set up for at least a year and a half.

6. OP
    OP
    E

Thinking of getting it tested today before my lfs closes.

7. BottomDweller

When you change the filter media you lose your cycle

In that case I would only expect only one to die

Roseline barbs are schooling fish. When they are not kept in big enough groups they often become aggressive. Maybe he could have bullied and stressed the rams?

8. OP
    OP
    E

He normally leaves them alone. I just don't understand why two males die and the females are fine. My barb minds his own business from how often I watch, but I will keep my eye open to see if he's doing anything.

9. OP
    OP
    E

10. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Changing out the filter media/cartridge means you have thrown out all of your beneficial bacteria which starts the cycle all over again. How much ammonia is reading on your test? You don't mention that test here. My guess is that it is going to read ammonia in the tank. If you must change your filter media cut a slit in the new media and shove the old media inside so the bacteria are still in the filter and your cycle isn't affected.

11. Kellye8498

I use the same filter cartridge for about year...until it starts breaking down...and then I remove the media and put it inside the new cartridge when I absolutely HAVE to change the media out.

12. BottomDweller

Changing the filter media is unnecessary and dangerous for the fish. If you must change it only change a little at a time and only do it very infrequently.

13. OP
    OP
    E

I'll keep it in mind. That does make sense, thank you. Still at loss for Why only my boys died.

14. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Everyone knows that the ladies are much tougher that the guys. ;)

15. Kellye8498

They have to be. They pop out babies and have to deal with them xD

16. OP
    OP
    E

Was actually doing some digging on German Blues. Since they're a high demand fish, they've been hormone injected and inbred. A slight change in water can kill them apparently. They also don't lose color when stressed if they've been hormone injected. I picked up a new pair of males who seemingly respond to stress and have natural color, during moving they were a lot duller but colored up in the tank. Even chose females already. Also picked up some emperor tetras who are quite active and happy schooling. I'll post updates.