Two male BN plecos?

karenmolloy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I recently added 2 albino bristlenose plecos to my 55 gallon tank. They were around 1-1.5 in long when I got them, and now they are around 1.5-2in long. I have been reading around the boards here, and I am wondering if I may have 2 males on my hands. They both are sprouting little "antenna-like" things on the tops of their heads. Is this the first step in growing whiskers? IF so, do I need to be concerned about having 2 males? I have only noticed 1 occasion where one seemed to chase the other away. Returning/exchanging 1 may not be an option, as they just came from Petsmart and it is past their "return" window.
Thoughts?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they'll be fine even if you do have two males. Give them plenty of hiding places, and maybe even feed them on opposite sides of the tank. Do you have pictures?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Keeping 2 Plecos in the same tank has never worked for me. For one reason or another, I always end up losing one. They can be quiet aggressive especially when it comes to feeding time. I've tried it at least twice in my 265g tank and today, I have one Sail Fin Pleco in this tank, 13 years old, 11"s long.

I haven't tried to Bristle Nose Plecos in the same tank though. Have a back up plan just in case it doesn't work and you start seeing aggression issues.

Ken

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont think you will have an issue with 2 male bn in a 55 gallon. Plenty of room to stay away from each other. They are a little more peaceful than some plecos.

karenmolloy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Akari_32 said:
I think they'll be fine even if you do have two males. Give them plenty of hiding places, and maybe even feed them on opposite sides of the tank. Do you have pictures?
I don't have a great camera for photos (or else I am not very good at it!) but here are a couple. One of my plecos has a "crumpled" fin- I think it was the way the store employee fished him out for me- sort of smooshed his fin. We call him/her Nemo. :)
Albus1a.jpg Nemo1a.jpg

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What you're seeing up by the eyes are nostril flares, not bristles. The bristles will start around the lip. They're too small right now to tell male from female. Still got an inch or so to go

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Akari_32 said:
What you're seeing up by the eyes are nostril flares, not bristles. The bristles will start around the lip. They're too small right now to tell male from female. Still got an inch or so to go
2nd this. Give it more time, too young to tell yet.

karenmolloy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Akari_32 said:
Thanks! I guess the nostrils have just gotten a little bigger, so it looked like something was growing. :) Hopefully, I will have a m/f (not because I am trying to breed, just for compatibility.)

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have 3 BN plecos in my 180. I have 1 male, 1 female, and the 3rd is too young yet to tell the sex. They all get along just fine though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom