Two-Leaf Clovers

1. FrankdaTank Member Member

One other plant question today....

The top of my tank is being totally overrun with a little floating plant that looks like a two-leaf clover. I scooped out about 12 cups of them last time I made a water change. They had taken over half of the top of my tank! Next time I am going to scoop out a lot more.

They look like a little two-leaf clover that has a little stem that shoots down about an inch from the top of the water. They just swirl around up there and multiply like crazy. They are easy enough to control because they float on top, but does anyone know what these are?

I know identification is hard without a picture. I will try and get one for everyone later today.

2. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

3. FrankdaTank Member Member

Wow! It is duckweed! Man this stuff grows like wildfire!

weed 2.JPG

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I have a hard time getting mine to stay.

5. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Anytime someone says "I just keep scooping it out but it comes back to eat my family in the night" I'll guess duckweed LOL

6. FrankdaTank Member Member

Do you use any fertilizers? I add Seachem Flourish and Seachem Flourish Excel.

I had a dozen or so of these guys get put in a bag with my early guppy stock. I scooped them in because I thought they looked nice. At one point, they had all dried to the glass and I thought they were goners. It happened slowly but once they got momentum they just haven't stopped. I usually have a 3rd of my tank covered in duckweed within a week of cleaning 75% of it out.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Well mine was simply eaten by my fish within 3 days.

8. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

If you ever have young mystery snails, they love the stuff. Older ones don't go for it as much.