Two Heaters In Each Tank - Overkill?

1. Pishies Member Member

Recently had a heater stop working. The water went really cold as we are in the middle of winter here.

I have heard that some people put 2 heaters in their tank in case one fails, the other will take over.

Any one do this? Does it really work?

What is the best way to do this....use 2 of the same size heater or set them one at a bit lower degree than the other and it just sits there in the tank 'just in case' ?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I used 3 in my 330gal. I set them up in a bucket one at a time with the electric thermometer and calibrate it to the desired temp say 26.4, I then turn off that heater and refill the bucket and calibrate the second heater to 26.4 then put them in at opposite ends of the tank and your right to go

Whereabouts in Australia are you?

3. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I personally would just keep an extra as backup, but not actually have it in the tank. I am sure you check your tank often enough that the temp dropping, you would notice. If I was going on an extended vacation, I would consider having a backup in the tank.

4. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I'm the opposite if you've got it why not have it there going it will give you better heat distribution throughout the tank and you will have the backup going if one does stop working

5. ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~ Member Member

Following, I have rare fish and worry about my heater failing in their tank :nailbiting:

6. Pishies Member Member

Brizzy :)

My heater stopped working late afternoon and I may not have checked the tank until the next morning. We are getting 0 degrees Celsius where I live. Avoided a disaster there.

7. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Yeah I had my in flow on my canister fall out last week and pump 3/4 of my tank out on the floor and the temp got down to 7C luckily we only lost one guppy All the other guppies snails shrimp and BN all made it through

8. Pishies Member Member

Another disaster! This hobby is fraught with danger! :eek: