Two filters?

tarq476

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 29 gallon with an AquaClear 50. I have an unopened, backup 50 that I keep in case the other dies, but it occurred to me today that I could add it to the other side of the tank. Then if one dies, I still have the other running. Even though I'm sure the one 50 is enough, I thought this might help the tank stay cleaner and help with added oxygen. Any downsides to running an extra filter on my tank?

Best Answer - View Mongo75's answer

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
If you have room for it, and your fish can tolerate the water flow of two filters, go for it! I run a HOB and a sponge filter in my tank, and a lot of other people run multiple filters, for extra filtration, and as a backup. It's not uncommon. The only downside I can think of is a little more cost on your power bill, and it may be too much water flow for some fishes.

OP
T

tarq476

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, any specific fish that do poorly with extra water flow? I have 6 albino cory right now and plan to get some active top-dwellers after the cory settle in. Perhaps rasboras or some type of tetras.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are a few types that prefer quiet water such as labyrinth fishes, Discus, Angels etc but the fish you mentioned will be fine. HOB’s don’t tend to create a strong current.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Specifically, Betta fish. In general small fish. The best thing to do is research any fish you are thinking on buying, and even then it's not going to be easy.

I have a 20 gallon with 7 zebra danios. They have no problem with a small 118 gpm powerhead on my sponge filter, and my Tidal 55 HOB. I recently added 6 guppies, and they don't seem to like the excess water flow. I removed the powerhead and replaced it with an air stone, and they are now swimming all over the tank. My research on the guppies said they can tolerate a stronger water flow in some articles, and in others, it said they couldn't. Who knows?

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Specifically, Betta fish. In general small fish. The best thing to do is research any fish you are thinking on buying, and even then it's not going to be easy.

I have a 20 gallon with 7 zebra danios. They have no problem with a small 118 gpm powerhead on my sponge filter, and my Tidal 55 HOB. I recently added 6 guppies, and they don't seem to like the excess water flow. I removed the powerhead and replaced it with an air stone, and they are now swimming all over the tank. My research on the guppies said they can tolerate a stronger water flow in some articles, and in others, it said they couldn't. Who knows?
My 60g guppy tank showed me that neither guppies OR platies like 250gph powerheads!

The only thing about the filters is that they wont "make the water cleaner." They will do that if you had really messy fish like plecos or goldfish that stirred up gunk or something, but your parameters will stay the same.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Sanderguy777 said:
My 60g guppy tank showed me that neither guppies OR platies like 250gph powerheads!

The only thing about the filters is that they wont "make the water cleaner." They will do that if you had really messy fish like plecos or goldfish that stirred up gunk or something, but your parameters will stay the same.
Yeah, when I took off the powerhead and replaced it with an air stone, they became a lot more adventurous :)

New Threads