Two Filters, One Tank?

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long. And it's cycling(fishless.) but I saw a filter, a small one for sale at Petco for like 15 bucks and i needed 2 make 30 bucks for a coupon so I bought it. lol...

Is it fruitless, or silly to have two filters running at the same time? I have an Aquaclear 30, and I have a AQuaclear quietflow 10.

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
reptilepaul93 said:
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long. And it's cycling(fishless.) but I saw a filter, a small one for sale at Petco for like 15 bucks and i needed 2 make 30 bucks for a coupon so I bought it. lol...

Is it fruitless, or silly to have two filters running at the same time? I have an Aquaclear 30, and I have a AQuaclear quietflow 10.
It’s never a bad idea to filter more than needed!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am running 2 large HOB filters plus 2 double sponge sponge filters for my 55 gallon tank. It is never a bad idea to run extra filtration. There is such a thing as too much water movement but I don't think there is such a thing as too much filtration.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
I am running 2 large HOB filters plus 2 double sponge sponge filters for my 55 gallon tank. It is never a bad idea to run extra filtration. There is such a thing as too much water movement but I don't think there is such a thing as too much filtration.
I do the exact same thing on my 55G. Two hob's on it.

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Never hurts to go overkill on filtration. It's not gonna hurt anything and would probably make it easier to keep clean water.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two HOBs on my 20 tall, mostly because I was going to upgrade and plans fell through. Love having the dual filtration! No more piles of debris in the back corners, it keeps the flow throughout the tank much better with the two.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep a fluval 304 and 404 running on my 75gl always have and never have a problem.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
2 Aquaclear 75s and a sponge filter in my 55. Seachem Tidal 55 plus sponge filter in my 30. 2x dual sponge filters in 55. 4 Betta tanks just have dual sponge filters (10 g)

Having sponge filters handy for QT tanks is a big bonus. Also, with lots of thunderstorms and power outages, having sponges helps keep your cycle from crashing if the HOBs don't prime themselves and you're at work for 3 more hours...

Of course, it feeds the MTS... hmmm. That's not a bad thing, is it?

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When it comes to backups and safety equipment, the old saying is "two is one, and one is none."

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a Seachem Tidal 55 HOB and an Eheim Classic 250 on my 23g tank which is somewhat heavily-stocked. The over filtration definitely helps.

Heck, if only I had the space to put my Sunsun canister on it, I would've done so.
reptilepaul93 said:

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The best part about having two filters is when you inevitably decide you need another tank, you have a filter cycled and ready to go and can move it on over.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, the very best part is when one of them starts squealing 2 a.m. you can just unplug it and go back to sleep, cuz the tank will keep running.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom