Two Filters instead of one?

BJBartram

Ok, with the idea of a 40-55 gallon tank And having 2 heaters instead of one, what's everyone's idea of 2 filters instead of one each at the end of the tank near the heaters. Can I go with smaller filters if I have 2? What about undergravel filters. I've heard good and bad about each.

SouthAmericanCichlids

That one really doesn't make a difference, heaters break all the time, I've never had a filter break personally, so besides water agitation there is no point. But if you get 2 say 30 gallon filters, it would be the same as 1 60g filter.

Upvote 0

natalia1468

I have a 55 gallon and I have two big filters on both ends that seem to work very well.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I always run 2 HOBs on my main 20g tank, I just like having even flow on both sides. I have one AC 20 on the left and a topfin 40 on the right set to low. When one starts trickling I clean it

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Oh yeah, my 29 has one HOB in the middle and a sponge on each end. Usually only keep 1 sponge filter in my 10 gal tanks though...but they always have rated for a 20. Mostly because i always like to have a well-seeded filter or two on hand at all times because you never know what might pop up.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

IMHO
The more filtration the better. Before I switched to canisters I always ran 2 HOBs and a couple of sponges on my 55g. Now I run canisters on all my tanks with sponge filters. I have 2 canisters, and a sponge on a 55g and 33L.
Works for me...

Upvote 0

jtjgg

my 75g has a pair of Tidal 110s, and I turned the original 29g into a sump filter.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

I have 2 or 3 filters on all my tanks. I like to alternate my cleaning of them.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

My 210 litre/ 55 gallon tanks have a HOB suitable for more than 55 gallons. A jumbo sponge filter suitable for more than 55 gallons. Two large sponge filters stacked that are ok for a 55 on their own. A box filter or two that have a handful of ceramic media in them and another modified ziss filter. At times I have another sponge as spare sitting waiting as well.
Of course it’s to much filtration ? Is it actually possible to have two many filters? Of course not. Unless you have a long fined fish?
At any time one filter is ready to be cleaned. One filter was cleaned last month and another will need cleaning next month. I run an oversized pre filter on the HOB that possibly has enough room ON ITS OWN for the bacteria needed for a few fish?

I am just saying BJBartram if you want to run more than one filter you can.
With careful cleaning one filter can be used.

Heck you can even hide the filter behind something and not have to look at the life support system if that’s your thing.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I don’t like having multiple filters because the tank is in my living room and the more you have, the more noise there is. Also, more filters = more work.

So I make sure I have the most powerful filter that will fit my needs and the fish’s. If messy fish, I add a powerhead with quick filter to polish the water and a power head to move the detritus in the intakes. This way I have two sources of surface water agitation, even three if I aim the powerhead towards the surface.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I run multiple filters on all of my bigger tanks. Some sort of combination of HOB and sponge. My 55 has the most with two Penguin 350s and 2 sponge filters.

I tend to overstock, so the overfiltration along with a religious regimen of 50-60% WCs weekly, helps me to still have thriving tanks despite how much fish I have in them.

Upvote 0

RayClem

My philosophy is that you can never have too much filtration, but you can have too much water flow. Thus, having a single large filter can sometimes disturb the fish. However, having two filters is a great idea. They can be two HOB filters. However, they can also be a HOB and a canister filter or HOB and an internal sponge filter. I even have two filters on a 10 gallon (one HOB rated at 100 gph plus an internal box filter driven by an air pump.

On my 55 gallon aquarium I have an undergravel filter driven by two 300 gph powerheads, an Aquaclear 110 (500 gph) and an Aqueon 75 (400 gph). The HOB filters have prefilter sponges, so the flow rate is no where near the rated capacity of the filters. Thus, the the current is not excessive.

The nice thing about having multiple filters is that you can clean one of them while leaving the other undisturbed. That keeps the nitrogen cycle stable. I like using two different types of filters.

For a 40 gallon tank, using an Aquaclear 70 plus an Aqueon 50 would work well. There are other filter brands like Seachem Tidal, Fluval, PennPlax Cascade, Tetra, etc. that could be used. If you have room behind the tank, having large capacity chambers is great for customizing the filter media.

For a 55 gallon tank, using an Aquaclear 70 or 110 plus an Aqueon 75 would be ideal. However, you could also consider using a canister filter in place of one of the HOB filters. Make sure that each filter is more than capable of sustaining the tank. Do not try putting two filters rated for 30 gallon tanks on a 55 gal, you are far better off with two filters rated for 70 gallon tanks. There is only a small different in price between sizes until you get up to the Aquaclear 110 ore Tidal 110 which are significantly more expensive, but are wonderful filters.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am in the more is better camp when it comes to filtration. I run 2 cascade 300's and 2 dual sponge filters in/on my 55 gallon community tank. I only run one filter on my 5.5 gallon tank but run a filter that is supposed to be good for a tank up to 33 gallons. I actually think the numbers they put on these filters is a very bad joke.

I only have one heater. It is situated half way between the 2 HOB filters. If, unlike me, you don't constantly keep an eye on the temp 2 heaters may be better. Should one quit you have a backup.

Once upon a time I had a heater stick on and I lost most of my fish due to it. Had it just quit my fish might have survived. That one kept me out of the hobby for about 5 years. Due to that I check the temp in my tanks at least once a day.

Upvote 0

RayClem

When it comes to heaters, the ideal thing to do is to have two that are slightly undersized. If one heater fails in the off position, the other heater will be able to keep the tank close to the desired temperature. Yet, if one heater fails in the on position, the temperature will not rise excessively. There was a recent thread about someone who had an oversized heater in his tank. The heater stuck in the on position, the temperature went so high that all the fish in the tank were killed.

Sooner or later, no matter which brand you purchase, all heaters will fail, so plan to minimize the damage when that happens.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Filters, Filters, Filters, IMO you can never have enough.

I run 2-Marineland 350's on my 20s, 2- 2-Marineland 350's on my 55s and 3 on my 125 1-FX6, 1-Marineland 350, and 1-Fluval 405

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Marineland 350s are my favorite filter ever! You can't beat the price for what you get!

Upvote 0

cdw202x

I am currently running a 10 gallon tank with three sponge filters! Once my bettas died, I kept moving the filters over to the remaining tank. I adjust the output nozzle so the bubbles are not all at the same level, but have no problem at all with it, and the shrimp and the ember tetras do not seem to have a problem with it either!

Upvote 0

yukondog

Like others as tanks come down filters get chunked into other tanks and as I need fry tanks I can start with instant cycle.

Upvote 0

mc12345

Ok, with the idea of a 40-55 gallon tank And having 2 heaters instead of one, what's everyone's idea of 2 filters instead of one each at the end of the tank near the heaters. Can I go with smaller filters if I have 2? What about undergravel filters. I've heard good and bad about each.
I have a 75 gallon with an aquaclear 110 (HOB) and an eheim 2217 (canister). It truly depends on how you are stocking the tank too. In regards to the comment above about having 2 smaller filters being the same as one larger: this is true, but filters do sometimes malfunction. I find that having 2 is a good way to assure that there is at least some filtration if one breaks. It also means that your cycle is less likely to crash if you have to replace one of the filters. On another note, instant cycle if you ever have to set up another tank or QT. Great for emergencies.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views