two filters for a 29 gal ?

BrianCB

HI I have a 29 gallon tank and I have in it an aqua-tech 30 gallon filter and am wondering what other type of filter I should get to go with,that is if I can fit another filter in the tank? ???

sick-lid boy

Depending on what type of fish you have in the tank.. or how many.. you probably wouldn't really need another filter. If you really think you need more filtration, I'd suggest just getting a bigger filter to replace the one you have. I don't think there's such thing as too much filtration. For all my tanks I use a filter that rated for a much larger tank, although... two filters in a tank are not a bad idea at all. Easier to maintain your bio system while doing filter cleanings and whatnot. Problem is - like you mentioned- is that with the hang-on-the-back filters, finding enough space for two filters could be a problem.

BrianCB

thanks for your comment I was thinking about getting a bigger one but now you've just confirmed it.

COBettaCouple

a sponge filter might make a good 2nd filter.. it certainly can store a lot of good bacteria on it.

armadillo

sick-lid boy said:
Depending on what type of fish you have in the tank.. or how many.. you probably wouldn't really need another filter. If you really think you need more filtration, I'd suggest just getting a bigger filter to replace the one you have. I don't think there's such thing as too much filtration. For all my tanks I use a filter that rated for a much larger tank, although... two filters in a tank are not a bad idea at all. Easier to maintain your bio system while doing filter cleanings and whatnot. Problem is - like you mentioned- is that with the hang-on-the-back filters, finding enough space for two filters could be a problem.
Also, 2 filters means extra places of water agitations + opportunity to use foam pad of second filter for quick cycling of another tank. I love this method (2 filters) and am building up to using it in all my tanks.   

Gargoyle

I have an aqua clear 70 on my 29 gallon and a power head with attached cotton filter. The power head runs full blast all the time to create current and movement plus serves as my C02 injector. The aqua clear 70 is typically set to low or medium flow.. My water is very clean but I also have some plants which greatly help water quality and clarity.

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
sick-lid boy said:
Also, 2 filters means extra places of water agitations + opportunity to use foam pad of second filter for quick cycling of another tank. I love this method (2 filters) and am building up to using it in all my tanks.
we're planning to put extra sponge filters in our tanks that are 5 gallon and up to get lots of sponges full of good bacteria to seed new tanks.. in the future.. plenty of stuff to take care of now with the mahachaI bettas and the recent doubling of our betta splendens family.

Old Sloppy

sick-lid boy said:
If you really think you need more filtration, I'd suggest just getting a bigger filter to replace the one you have. I don't think there's such thing as too much filtration. For all my tanks I use a filter that rated for a much larger tank, although... two filters in a tank are not a bad idea at all. Easier to maintain your bio system while doing filter cleanings

I agree a bigger filter is the best answer.
I have two Magnum 350 canisters and two Aquaclear 500 box filters on my tank.

Harry S.

Bonochick

Yeah, I'd get a bigger one.  I have a 29 gallon tank with an Aquaclear 110, and that filter is amazing.  I've been going since January, and my water is still crystal clear.

Latest threads

Top Bottom