Two Female Mollies Are Chasing My Male Molly

Daphne Cuyno

My female mollies are always chasing my male molly. Is this normal? What should I do?

I tried to take one female molly, she is the more aggressive one, the other female molly does not chase the male that much.

Peacefantasy

Oh no I'm sorry
Can you take a picture of your setup?
What do you feed them and how much?
What size tank and what is your current stock?

Daphne Cuyno

Oh no I'm sorry
Can you take a picture of your setup?
What do you feed them and how much?
What size tank and what is your current stock?
Cant take a photo, but I have a 3 gallon tank, a sponge filter, and a sand substrate. I have two female mollies and one male molly. I feed them flakes, morning and night.

Peacefantasy

Well that is definitely your problem..
A single molly needs an at least 29 gallon tank. I would return all of those fish.
Do you have any other tanks?

Sepehr

Cant take a photo, but I have a 3 gallon tank, a sponge filter, and a sand substrate. I have two female mollies and one male molly. I feed them flakes, morning and night.
Greetings!!
What??????????

You need to get a bigger Tank as soon as its possible...! Mollies need at least 30 gallon or more...!

And about your problem, I have to ask some questions :

How old is your Male molly and the females? I mean are they adult and ready to Breed or not?

You can try fasting and starve them for a week, Their Energy will be reduced and They will not tend to be aggresive and actually it is great for their health!

emerald6

Mollies don't even physically fit in a 3 gallon-actually nobody should be allowed to sell these kinds of tanks

EbiAqua

Mollies don't even physically fit in a 3 gallon-actually nobody should be allowed to sell these kinds of tanks
Those tanks are, IMO, OK for Bettas. Shrimp and snails are also fine.

Mcasella

Return the fish if possible, if not you are going to have to upgrade the tank or rehome the fish to someone else with a big enough tank. Mollies are aggressive and it is not advisable to starve your fish, you can weaken them so disease can attack them, this is not a safe way to reduce chasing/energy. It is also irresponsible to starve your fish because they aren't doing what you want them to; on the flip side, you can fast them for a couple days to help clean out their system, but this is if they are huge or bloated not because they are acting out because they are in too small of a tank.
Betta, shrimp, snails all do well in a tank of that size - they also require a heater though.

I would get at least a 29 gallon tank, with a large filtration system because mollies are messy fish. They need a heater as they are tropical fish. Are you sure they are female and male? Does the male have a rod shape analfin and the females have a fan shaped analfin?
These fish are surprisingly aggressive - when placed in inadequate space, without hiding places, and with too many fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MissingScore
Replies
Views
Taff
  • Question
  • Caterpie
  • Molly
Replies
Views