Two Dwarf Gouramis In A 20 Gallon Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Rachel3537, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Rachel3537

Rachel3537Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi there!
    I've had my 20 gallon community tank for a few weeks now, and I was wondering if adding a second dwarf gourami would be okay. I've been trying to find some info on whether or not it would be okay to have two gouramis in a 20 gallon community, but I've been getting a lot of conflicting info, so I wanted to check here to be safe. My tank is currently stocked with 6 black skirt tetras, 10 neon tetras, a single male dwarf gourami, and I have a black mystery snail in quarantine that I will be adding in a few days.
    Thanks!

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sounds like the its pretty well stocked ss it is. Adding another dwarf gouromi i think would over stock you that and dwarf gouromis usually dont play well together.

3. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello! Although the bioload is technically okay, DGs have been known be become aggressive so I wouldn't add anymore because the single DG could turn aggressive. I think your stocking with schooling fish is better. The only problem that I could see arising is the neons, because they prefer cooler water. I would try to either get them their own tank or switch them out for cardinal tetras which are slightly larger but tropical fish.

4. BettasnMore

BettasnMoreValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have two gouramis in my community tank and they do just fine. The occasional chase but other than that they're good.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,499
    Experience:
    2 years
    Your fully stocked, IMO. Plus, you'd most likely end up with 2 males, and that'd end up with fighting. Is this a 20 high or long?

6. OP
    OP
    Rachel3537

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    1 year
    The aggression part was what I was worried about. I kept seeing that DGs were too aggressive to be together, but then I would read about some people keeping two together without any issues, so I was a bit confused on whether or not they would fight. I don't want to risk the one that is already in the tank, so I'll keep him by himself. Thanks for the info about the neon tetras, I didn't even consider that when getting them for the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Rachel3537

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    1 year
    That's good to hear. How big is your tank, if you don't mind me asking?

8. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    No problem, hope your fish do well! Although I still wouldn't risk it (I've never had gouramis though) dither fish would help diffuse aggression, so if you really want to try I'd get another backup tank in case it doesn't work out and watch them super carefully for a few weeks. Again, I haven't kept them and I personally wouldn't, but seeing as some people have there's evidently a chance of it working out.

9. OP
    OP
    Rachel3537

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    1 year
    That's true, I figured I was pretty close to being fully stocked, if I wasn't already there. I think it's a 20 gallon high (it was one that came as a set with a filter, hood, etc, if that's any help).

10. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,499
    Experience:
    2 years
    If it's a 20 high, then your tank's overstocked, IMO. Could you measure the tank length? If it's 24" long, it's a 20 high. 30" long makes it a 20 long.

11. BettasnMore

BettasnMoreValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    1 year
    They are in a 55 gallon. :)

12. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There is a lot of difference what you can do in a 55 compared to a 20.

13. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    And going with above, even in a 55g it won't always work out.