Two different watt heater

Anik

hello everyone, need some help. my tank size is 5.5' 2' 22. so I bought a eheim 300 watt heater for my tank. now my question is I have another hopar 100 watt heater, can I use with eheim 300 watt.
some info, because I live in south Asia, weather is not too much cold here.winter season is only for 3 months and inside house lowest temperature is maximum 16-17 degrees.
so the heater is enough for my tank.
another info other 9 months temperature is 32-34 degree sometimes more than that. so I don't think on that situation I need any heater .

rickyraccoon

I've put a spare heater that wasn't doing anything, in my (not so) large tank with the other heater running. I don't see how the different watt ratings would be an issue, if they're set for approximately the same temperature then they'll switch on/off as needed- if I'm wrong on that someone correct me- but it seems to me as long as you fine-tune the smaller heater so that it's not set for a higher temp than the bigger heater, it won't be like, trying to heat the tank all by itself. I would have the tank at the temp I want, if it were me, using only the primary heater, before the coldest weather comes, and then adjust the smaller heater so that it's set to come on at, or slightly below, the temp that cycles the big heater on. That way the smaller heater doesn't try to take the load on itself and do the bulk of the heating, but it'll act as an auxiliary.

That's the electronics person in me talking, not the aquarist- I might be totally wrong on that, but that seems the most logical way to run dissimilar heaters together.

Anik

thanks for yo
I've put a spare heater that wasn't doing anything, in my (not so) large tank with the other heater running. I don't see how the different watt ratings would be an issue, if they're set for approximately the same temperature then they'll switch on/off as needed- if I'm wrong on that someone correct me- but it seems to me as long as you fine-tune the smaller heater so that it's not set for a higher temp than the bigger heater, it won't be like, trying to heat the tank all by itself. I would have the tank at the temp I want, if it were me, using only the primary heater, before the coldest weather comes, and then adjust the smaller heater so that it's set to come on at, or slightly below, the temp that cycles the big heater on. That way the smaller heater doesn't try to take the load on itself and do the bulk of the heating, but it'll act as an auxiliary.

That's the electronics person in me talking, not the aquarist- I might be totally wrong on that, but that seems the most logical way to run dissimilar heaters together.
thanks for yours comment, actually in my country we only need heater in winter. because other times temperature is always 32-36 degree. sometimes it's 40 degree or more. winter is only 2 month here. that's why I am confuse about investing another 300 watt heater. but little bit scared about using the 100 watt with 300 watt.

Vinh

I think your tank is big maybe about 75 gallons.You should use the 300 w heater for your tank.If you have another 300 w then you can set them up at both end of the tank if not then use one in midle.You can also use 100w heater to conjunction with 300w ,but try to locate 300 w more on middle and 100w on other long end to balance the heat of the tank ,so when both heater have been worked at 28*c ,they will spread out even heat for whole tank.The 100w heater may work harder than 300w ,to keep up with lost heat by the cool weather out side the tank ,and could be burn off faster..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kc27
  • Leoriosbestie29
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Leoriosbestie29
Replies
Views
Jojo205