Two different water changes, 2 different sick/dying(?) Corys

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by DjFizz, Jun 3, 2016.

  1. DjFizzValued MemberMember

    I can't make sense of this at all, I hope someone else can.

    Before I begin, here are my parameters:
    -20G long tank, fully cycled.
    -5 White Cloud Minnows
    -2 Cory catfish
    -All artificial plants/decorations
    -Currently going through a moderate diatom outbreak

    So about a month ago I bought 2 Cory's to add to my tank. Two weeks ago I did a 50% water change, which was the first one I'd done since I got them. Up until that point, they both seemed healthy and happy. The next day I couldn't one of them anywhere, but I know they are good hiders, so I figured he'd turn up eventually. Well he did turn up, quite literally, floating dead at the top the next day. So I disposed of him and bought a replacement.

    Fast forward to yesterday, did another 50% water change (yes, I know 25% weekly is better, I'm working on fitting that into my schedule more efficiently). Once again, both Corys were fine. Changed my water, took the decorations out to clean the diatom growth, and found one of the Corys on his side at the bottom, alive but struggling to breathe. Other guy, no issues at all. After I refilled the tank, I added in Stress coat and stress zyme like I always do and I left everything else alone. I don't have a QT tank, and he wasn't dead, so I let him be in hopes that he'd recover on his own. I figured it was either that, or I'd also find him floating today. Well he's still alive, but still lethargic and breathing heavily.

    So I'm at a loss here. I don't know if it's just coincidence in the timing, or if the stress of a semi-large water change is to blame, or if there are other factors. The other thing I have no way of knowing is if the current sick Cory is the one that I bought at the same time as my first, or if he is the replacement from the previous dead one, as they both look identical. So I feel like it's possible that if it is the Cory from the first purchase, perhaps it was a bad batch, especially considering the other guy is perfectly fine.

    So here's my question(s): Does anyone have any theories on what may have happened in either/both cases, is there anything I should do going forward, and is there anything I can do for the sick Cory before he's a goner? Sorry for the novel post guys. I look forward to hearing your responses!
  2. cheeseValued MemberMember

    what are the exact parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? also, what is the pH in the tank, and tap water? if there's something in the tank raising or lowering the pH, making it different from the tap water, doing a big water change could shock your fish.
    what water conditioner are you using?
    was the diatom outbreak related to a filter breakdown or anything like this?

    Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
  3. OP

    DjFizzValued MemberMember

    The parameters are as follows:
      - 0.25ppm
      - 0ppm
      - somewhere between 0-5ppm
    Ph - >7.6 (light blue, bottom of the regular pH chart)

    Now, here's something interesting that I just learned. The last time I tested my tap water parameters was in February. At that time, all the readings were identical to my tank, including the trace amounts of ammonia. I just tested my tap water again, and even though the pH in my tank is normal, my tap is reading 8.2!! I had no idea. However, since I found my Cory sick last night before even adding any new water, and he had been fine with the water up to that point, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

    Aside from that, I use Prime for my conditioner for the tap water (as well as the stress coat after refilling the tank). And I don't think the diatom outbreak is filter related as far as I know, although I am about due for a new filter, but the outbreak started weeks ago. From what I understand, everyone goes through it sooner or later.

    Hope that helps.

  4. OP

    DjFizzValued MemberMember

    Update: the Cory didn't make it. Which I kinda figured he wouldn't. Found him this morning. Still looking for advice on how to prevent this from occurring again.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice