Two Dead Guppies :(

Jjessiep25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI all,

Unfortunately last week I found a dead guppy in my tank and today I've found another - I'm very concerned for my remaining 3 guppies.

Some background on my tank - it's 5gallons and has been up and running for about 6 months. I added my first two guppies almost straight away (I was not aware of fish less cycling at the time) and the tank cycled before Christmas - all was going fine - no issues and so a couple of weeks ago I decided to add 3 more guppies to make my tank fully stocked. Everything was going well and I was monitoring the water parameters with my API master test kit as the tank adjusted - I performed waterchanges when necessary.

When I found the first dead guppy last week I did a big water change (about 40%) after checking the parameters (all fine) and had been keeping a close eye on the remaining 4 since.

I fed the fish today when I got home from work and all 4 were happily eating so I sat down to have my dinner and planned on checking the parameters tomorrow morning. When I walked past the tank again I could only see 3 fish and so had a quick scout of the tank and saw the 4th dead in the bottom corner of the tank.

Both of these fish are from the new three I added 2 weeks ago.

I have now checked the parameters again and the are as follows
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
pH: 7.2-7.6

I'm concerned by the apparent sudden onset of the deaths of these fish.

Given I'm still relatively new to the fish keeping game I am assuming this was my mistake in adding 3 new fish at once but if that were the case I would have expected a spike in one or more parameters to have accompanied each fish death.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My current plan is to test water levels daily and keep a very close eye on the remaining 3 fish. I also have some sera baktopur treatment that I bought after I was concerned at the beggining about my original guppies tails (they were fine in the end) but I could use that just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is likely that the new fish you added might have been sick, epsecially since you said they are the ones who have died.
When we purchase new fish from a store, what we want to do is quarantine them, so that if they do get sick they can't possibly harm the fish we already have.
So you would want a 5 gallon bucket or another tank for new fish, and watch them for a few weeks before you add them to the healthy fish you've had for a while.

It's possibly the last 3 fish you have might be okay.

What sort of symptoms did the dead fish show when they were alive? Were any of them extra skinny? Did they all eat and look normal with no fuzzy patches or white spots?
What do the fish you have now look like? Could you post some photos of them?

You won't always see your water parameters change right after a death, usually only when a body is decomposing.

Knowing how your current fish are doing will possibly tell you if they will be okay.
It is possible the new fish you bought had a sort of bacterial infection or some other disease that ultimately killed them, or that moving them to a new tank stressed them out and allowed them to get further ill.
Guppies can be weak fish, but also very strong.
The weak ones die quickly at the store and when taken home.
I'm not sure what that medication is, but I wouldn't use it unless you know for sure the ones you have are sick with something that it is meant to help.
I wouldn't use it to help with anything that it doesn't describe.

OP
J

Jjessiep25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crazycoryfishlady said:
It is likely that the new fish you added might have been sick, epsecially since you said they are the ones who have died.
When we purchase new fish from a store, what we want to do is quarantine them, so that if they do get sick they can't possibly harm the fish we already have.
So you would want a 5 gallon bucket or another tank for new fish, and watch them for a few weeks before you add them to the healthy fish you've had for a while.

It's possibly the last 3 fish you have might be okay.

What sort of symptoms did the dead fish show when they were alive? Were any of them extra skinny? Did they all eat and look normal with no fuzzy patches or white spots?
What do the fish you have now look like? Could you post some photos of them?

You won't always see your water parameters change right after a death, usually only when a body is decomposing.

Knowing how your current fish are doing will possibly tell you if they will be okay.
It is possible the new fish you bought had a sort of bacterial infection or some other disease that ultimately killed them, or that moving them to a new tank stressed them out and allowed them to get further ill.
Guppies can be weak fish, but also very strong.
The weak ones die quickly at the store and when taken home.
I'm not sure what that medication is, but I wouldn't use it unless you know for sure the ones you have are sick with something that it is meant to help.
I wouldn't use it to help with anything that it doesn't describe.
Thank you for your detailed reply!

Yes definitely regret not quarantine the new ones - I will be purchasing a second tank for that purpose if I decide to add more.

The dead fish had no symptoms that I had noticed, all the fish were eating well - including the one that died today only a matter of hours before I found it dead.

Unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to get decent shots of the surviving fish as they are quick little things - but there are no obvious signs of any infections fungal or bacterial.

I shall continue to keep an eye on the remaining fish and hope that they are more hardy.

Thanks!

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jjessiep25 said:
Thank you for your detailed reply!

Yes definitely regret not quarantine the new ones - I will be purchasing a second tank for that purpose if I decide to add more.

The dead fish had no symptoms that I had noticed, all the fish were eating well - including the one that died today only a matter of hours before I found it dead.

Unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to get decent shots of the surviving fish as they are quick little things - but there are no obvious signs of any infections fungal or bacterial.

I shall continue to keep an eye on the remaining fish and hope that they are more hardy.

Thanks!
I hope that the others manage to do well.
Usually as long as a fish is eating well it should be okay (even though the other wasn't..) But it still means it had a will to survive which is a good thing.
And your other two having survived a cycle shows they're fairly hardy, but could also mean they've been slightly weakened.
How did you acclimate the new ones to your tank? Even though we acclimate fish over the course of a half hour to a few hours, it really takes them a few weeks to adjust to their surroundings.

Definitely let us know if they start to show any symptoms like flashing (scratching on objects) if they float funny, stop eating, or develop any sort of outer infection or damage.

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You said you do water changes as necessary. You should be doing them once a week no matter what.....

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Always quarantine fish especially guppies. Whenever I buy new guppies from my local shop I quarantine them and nearly every batch has some deaths. Guppies for sale in shops are often of poor genetics. How did the guppies look? Any signs of swollen bellies or scales sticking outwards?

Lajos

Reaction score
I fully agree with the above posts.

Fish in the fish store are at high risk of infections. In fact, I think 60-70% of the fish in the fish stores are infected.
Whenever I buy new fish, I will quarantine them and treat them with anti-parasite medications.

In my opinion, parasite infections caused more death than bacteria and fungal infections (except for Betta fish).

Observe your fish for any symptoms of parasites infections such as fish scratching/ flashing, white spots on their bodies/ fins/ tail, heavy/fast breathing, etc.

Also, take note that Guppies and Neon Tetras account for one third of ornamental fish trade in the world.(if I remember correctly).
And due to their mass breedings, they have very weak genes.

Also, ensure that there are no nipping of fins from your other Guppies.

OP
J

Jjessiep25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI all

Unfortunately I'm yet another guppy done - this time one of the original guppies that had survived the cycling.

I fed them this morning and it fed fine and I've juts tested the water parameters and they're fine again. It must be some sort of infection that the new fish bought in with them.

I'm gutted and seriously regret not quarentining. Hopefully the remaining two will hang on

OP
J

Jjessiep25

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crazycoryfishlady said:
I hope that the others manage to do well.
Usually as long as a fish is eating well it should be okay (even though the other wasn't..) But it still means it had a will to survive which is a good thing.
And your other two having survived a cycle shows they're fairly hardy, but could also mean they've been slightly weakened.
How did you acclimate the new ones to your tank? Even though we acclimate fish over the course of a half hour to a few hours, it really takes them a few weeks to adjust to their surroundings.

Definitely let us know if they start to show any symptoms like flashing (scratching on objects) if they float funny, stop eating, or develop any sort of outer infection or damage.
Lajos said:
I fully agree with the above posts.

Fish in the fish store are at high risk of infections. In fact, I think 60-70% of the fish in the fish stores are infected.
Whenever I buy new fish, I will quarantine them and treat them with anti-parasite medications.

In my opinion, parasite infections caused more death than bacteria and fungal infections (except for Betta fish).

Observe your fish for any symptoms of parasites infections such as fish scratching/ flashing, white spots on their bodies/ fins/ tail, heavy/fast breathing, etc.

Also, take note that Guppies and Neon Tetras account for one third of ornamental fish trade in the world.(if I remember correctly).
And due to their mass breedings, they have very weak genes.

Also, ensure that there are no nipping of fins from your other Guppies.
Unfortunately a 3rd guppy died some time today whilst I was at work.

It had showed no symptoms and there were no obvious signs I could spot on the body.

I've done a big water change today and will keep a close eye on the remaining two!

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jjessiep25 said:
Unfortunately a 3rd guppy died some time today whilst I was at work.

It had showed no symptoms and there were no obvious signs I could spot on the body.

I've done a big water change today and will keep a close eye on the remaining two!

This is sad it sucks when you can't figure out what's wrong. It's also sometimes hard with guppies because of their size.
Are their gills extra red at all? They should be a little red, but not super bright.
Or their tails look slimey maybe? Kind of reaching for any symptom I can think of.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom