two blues, tank only big enough for one of them

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I got two blue gouramis for my 30G and I think it is only big enough for one of them. Whenever I have the two of them in my tank together they bug each other non-stop. I have two male platys who also harass each other but I am afraid the gouramis are more vicious. I see one of the gouramis ramming into the side of the other and sometimes they engage in kissing behavior. One of them just sort of hovers vertically sometimes while the other one pokes her belly. They're both female and I was under the impression females are not as vicious.

They both get along with the other residents of my tank well, even the tiny molly fry and the cardinal tetras. I'm afraid I'm going to have to return one of them if they can't be kept together in the same tank. I've tried taking one out and giving her a time out but once she goes back in it's back to harassment. I don't want this to end in the death of one of the gouramis. There are plenty of places to hide in my tank but I never see either of them trying to hide.

Is there anything else I can do or should I return one?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unless you can get a separate tank for one ,I would return one of them.
Gouramis can be funny fish and sometimes decide they don't like their tank mates

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hmm I'm thinking about returning the wimpy one and keeping the aggressive one as the wimpy one isn't very active and just hovers in place all the time. I'm wondering though, despite the aggressive one being peaceful with my other aquarium members now, what are the chances she will become aggressive in the future, especially if I one day introduce new non-gourami fish?

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gouramis are known to be aggressive sometimes. So, it's possible she will become aggressive with the other fish. Oh, and I wouldn't be so quick to write off the "wimpy" one. It's probably not very active because of the harassment. It may be the better choice in a community tank.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with above posters, probably best to return one fish. I had a neon blue DG in a 40 gallon tank with tankmates of other species and it become an awful territorial thing. It was the first time I ever had to return a fish. Obviously not all will become like that, but it is a possibility that it could happen. As pinksprklmonkey says, the 'wimpy' one is probably not active because of the harrasment.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't be so quick to write off the "wimpy" one. It's probably not very active because of the harassment. It may be the better choice in a community tank.
My sentiments exactly.

I didn't do well with gouramis even in a 46 gallon. They're just too aggressive for me. They didn't go after any other fish, but were absolutely evil towards each other. The only sweet one was killed by the others early on. They basically kept killing each other until I was left with only two, which I brought to the LFS. Never again.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed take the aggressive one back, I bet the "wimpy" one will then become more active. The aggressive one could very well start going after the other fish and new fish.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All right, I'll return the aggressive one then. I separated them about a day ago and today the wimpy one is much more active. Maybe she just likes the 5 gallon tank better. Thanks!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a golden and opaline together in a 40g and they can't stand each other(the opal being the aggressor). Keep in mind there are a TON of other fish in there and neither of em even notices lol. I was going to take the gold out but he seems to be holding his own now and there are plenty of places for him to hide out since the opal only sits at the top by the heater.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok, one more weird question. So, this morning I was woken by a popping sound in my 5 gallon. turns out the wimpy gourami was trying to jump out! The tank is lidded and only filled halfway but she was rather determined. Anyway, I noticed that the heater had been accidently turned off and the water was pretty cold. Could that be why she was trying to get out? I've moved her back into the 30 gallon now and she seems to be fine. I stuffed some sponges into the filter inlets just to be sure.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok, one more weird question. So, this morning I was woken by a popping sound in my 5 gallon. turns out the wimpy gourami was trying to jump out! The tank is lidded and only filled halfway but she was rather determined. Anyway, I noticed that the heater had been accidently turned off and the water was pretty cold. Could that be why she was trying to get out? I've moved her back into the 30 gallon now and she seems to be fine. I stuffed some sponges into the filter inlets just to be sure.
I would say most likely yes, and the fact that the 5 gal is so small probably was also a contributing factor.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol. So the wimpy Gourami is starting to grow tiger like stripes across her body. I know this is normal for a gourami but it's weird how she just got them recently. Is this a sign of maturity? Or aggression?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom