Two Aqueon heaters in less than a month

Oddie65

Alright so I thought I'd share my experience with Aqueon TA50 50 watt heaters. They're an adjustable heater and both were being used in a 10 gallon tank. The first, the original that came with the kit, was broken out of the box. I setup the tank and checked the temp the next day and lo and behold, the tank was at 86 degrees even though the heater dial was set to where what the book indicated was 77-79 degrees. I turned it down and gave it another day since there were no fish in the tank, and still it maintained 86 degrees so I returned it to the store for a replacement since it was so new. Now, two weeks into this heater, I woke up and something about the tank seemed off. All of my fish were behaving strangely so I postponed feeding and got the thermometer out since I don't trust the sticker on the tank. Surprise, Surprise! The heater had been working tirelessly all night to bring the temp from 76 degrees, where its sat steadily for two weeks, to a toasty 83-84 degrees this morning. I adjusted the knob all the way to its lowest setting, heater did NOT turn off, but guess what? Turning the knob all the way up gets it to turn off but the moment its backed down to a reasonable temperature, it kicks right back on even though the tank is well passed its appropriate temp. Since it's only 9 am no LFS is open and neither is the chain store I acquired the kit from, so I've unplugged the heater entirely for the time being until I can return it. Also, everything gets unplugged during water changes so the heater was not operating and out of water at any point. I have read good things about Eheim Jager heaters, can anybody else share their experiences? Or does anyone have some recommendations? I find it infuriating that this has happened with two different heaters from the same company over such a short time period of time. Had I not caught it when I did I very well could have lost my entire livestock and I have an attachment to all of these critters. I will more than likely not purchase another Aqueon product as this isn't my first tango with them, but we'll save that story for another thread.

gjshaw29

Sorry to hear about your fiasco with the heaters. Are you able to return this faulty one and get a different model later today? I really like the heater I have, it's adjustable as well. Bought it on a whI'm from my local lfs. It's national geographic brand and was on sale. Haven't had an issue with it the whole month I've owned it. Hope you can get this problem worked out, and glad your fish didn't suffer because of it. BTW, what kinds of fish are in your tank?

Oddie65

A trio of bronze cory's (one albino, same species) and a small school of 5 cherry barbs all about an inch or less in size, and are supposedly fully grown according to the LFS. The cory's are going in a 45 gallon once its cycled, and will be accompanied by another albino and two more bronzes (I love cory's). From there I'm not sure what's going in the new tank, but back on track. I did return the heater today, I spoke to the manager and he could tell I was in distress from my buddies almost being killed from a faulty new heater. He gave me credit for a pro model even though mine wasn't and allowed me to grab a 50w pro heater as a replacement, I didn't want to go with aqueon but with everyone else's reviews, they don't have that many problem so I accepted the gentleman's generosity and am taking the chance with very close supervision to the new heater. I've been told, and I/they may be wrong, but heaters you want to be careful with going oversized because they've been known to cook tanks more often than an appropriate sized one unless its a tank >30 gallons. (Kinda like its ideal to go with a slightly oversized filter) Hopefully I can trust this heater, I'm new to the hobby and I've had multiple near catastrophe's alreadys, from faulty heaters to a filter that never turned back on after a water change and restarted my cycle thanks to me not having a backup and the bacteria being exposed long enough to die (and then some.) I'm determined to get this stuff right because I'd love to progress into reef/nano/marine tanks.

gjshaw29

Keep at it, plenty of helpful people here to help. Don't know what I would have done unless I found this forum. I didn't even know about the nitrogen cycle until I already had fish in my tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

• madeline J oquendo
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Franco
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
  • blindfaith429
  • Heater