Two Aquaclear powerhead 20's - Too much circulation?

Tsunami35
My new 30 gallon tank has a HOB filter, and two Aquaclear powerhead 20's, one in each corner. It also has a large bubble wall in the back. Is it possible to have too much circulation, or currents that are too powerful. Do schooling fish typically like strong current?

COBettaCouple
It's possible to have too much filter flow for fish, if they're not strong enough they could be tossed around like crazy. Some fish like and need a stronger flow, so you'd want to research the preferences of the fish you plan to put in there.

armadillo
HI Tsunami. Like Dave says, it's definitely possible to have too much circulation. As for your question on schooling fish: it depends on what type of schooling fish. Dwarf loaches, for example, like quite a bit of current. I can't imagine dwarf corys, on the other hand, to hold their own in a heavy-stream tank. What fish specifically did you have in mind?

One good indication that there may be too much current is if your fish have to swim to stay in one place no matter where they are in the tank. A small area with a lot of current is not an issue, but they have to be able to rest.

Most filters have strength adjusting options, or you could change the orientation of the head of the filter outflow so it's broken by an obstacle like the tank wall.

Barbrella
If you get fish that come from fast-flowing water, like hillstream loaches, they would probably like it, but not having water flowing from two corners. The current should be coming from one place only to simulate their natual habitat.

Tsunami35
We've been thinking about some male guppies, possibly some tetras or barbs, and a few bottom feeders or lobsters. Should I put both powerheads on one side of the tank, or is there a way to orient them where they would create a continous current from opposite sides of the tank?

Thanks

jsalemi
I'm just not clear on why you would want the power heads in there at all? The HOB and the bubbler should provide more than enough circulation to keep the water oxygenated. The power heads seem like overkill, especially if you don't want to have too strong of a current.

armadillo
Yes, I think you'll do fine without the powerheads. Filter outlets and airstones do create a bit of a stir by themselves.

You basically need enough current to make sure your water isnot stagnant anywhere, and to make sure there is enough gas exchange at the surface of the water.

Not sure about the compatibility of the species you mentioned in terms of aggression, though. I'd be wary of lobsters attacking the fish, and I've heard that barbs could be quite the nippers, so the guppies' ornate tails might be too much of a temptation. I have no direct experience with that mix, though.

Tsunami35
The only reason I have the powerheads is because they came with the tank. I just put a filter canister on one of them, so maybe Ill leave that one in the tank on the opposite end from the HOB for additional filtration, and pull the other one out. For the record they are the smallest model of powerhead.

0morrokh
There's really no need for the extra powerhead. Male gups are not as strong swimmers with their huge fins and may not appreciate excess current.

armadillo
OhI see. I'd actually leave both out and see how the water circulates.
The only reason I have the powerheads is because they came with the tank. I just put a filter canister on one of them, so maybe Ill leave that one in the tank on the opposite end from the HOB for additional filtration, and pull the other one out. For the record they are the smallest model of powerhead.

COBettaCouple
our guppies seem to enjoy the filter flow and are pretty strong swimmers. They're red fancies and red geissens.

Tsunami35
I'll definitely pull at least one of them out, and aI'm the other one that has the filter so that parts of the tank are sheltered.

Thanks for the suggestions

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ronniethewitch
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
kuhlkid
Replies