Two Adopted Comets Need New Home!

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Pond People!

I just recently acquired a planted 5gal tank with two comets.
Previous owner believes they are a breeding pair, as he cleaned eggs out of the tank about a month ago, and observed mating aggression behaviors at the time.

I was planning to keep them, but... Everything I have read here says to get these little goldies into at least 30gal of water, stat. They seem healthy and happy for now, but I will not able to get them a big enough tank to keep them that way. They are about 2-3 inches long now (with tails), and an even orange-gold. They are very active, and always follow each other around the tank. They don't even mind when I come in to clean the algae off of the glass.

Does anyone in my local area (San Francisco Bay Area) have space for two lovely little comets in their pond?

I'd really like to make sure they are happy and don't die because of cramped living quarters.

Thanks for any help or advice you may have!!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
darlingfishie said:
Hello Pond People!

I just recently acquired a planted 5gal tank with two comets.
Previous owner believes they are a breeding pair, as he cleaned eggs out of the tank about a month ago, and observed mating aggression behaviors at the time.

I was planning to keep them, but... Everything I have read here says to get these little goldies into at least 30gal of water, stat. They seem healthy and happy for now, but I will not able to get them a big enough tank to keep them that way. They are about 2-3 inches long now (with tails), and an even orange-gold. They are very active, and always follow each other around the tank. They don't even mind when I come in to clean the algae off of the glass.

Does anyone in my local area (San Francisco Bay Area) have space for two lovely little comets in their pond?

I'd really like to make sure they are happy and don't die because of cramped living quarters.
Try posting them on your local Freecycle (a Yahoo group that you'll have to join), Letgo, and Facebook Marketplace. Hopefully, someone will have a nice pond for them

Thanks for any help or advice you may have!!

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here is a photo I was able to get this morning! They just will not stay still when I am that close to the tank. I tried to get a clear and un-warped shot.

Attachments

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Such a pretty fish! It's so sad that people don't understand how they need to be in ponds. I think of all those Matisse paintings of goldfish in tiny bowls. Sigh. I think that's why people think they can keep them on a table like cut flowers :0

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have cross-posted for help on the Goldfish forum. Hopefully someone will have some ideas on how to re-home a few Commons.

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
::UPDATE:: My LFS is going to foster the goldfish!! I was finally able to find a place that is willing to take them. After talking to the manager, who was very kind and helpful, it is clear to me that they wont give the fish to anyone unless they have a big enough tank, or a pond, for them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom