Two 200 watt heaters in a 4ft 55 gallon???

Ssnaaiil

Would two (1 on each side) 200 watt heaters be ok for a 4ft long 55 gallon tank? House is kept at 70degrees and I keep my tank at 78degrees

kallililly1973

I run a single 300W in my 55 and it holds steady at 75

Mongo75

That should be more than enough.

Ssnaaiil

I just don't want to overdo it and hurt my fish... So the two 200watt heaters won't be too much?

HolyKamikaziBetta

I use a 200w in my 60 and it hold at whatever temp I adjust it to. Just make sure you have circulation and it’ll be good. I wouldn’t even think you’d need the 2nd if your water is circulating

Mongo75

You could use a 1000w heater, and it wouldn't be too much. Once the water reaches the temp you have it set for, the heater turns off. The higher wattage just means the heater will heat the water faster, or be able to maintain the desired temp if your ambient room temp is colder, and would only be harmful if a fish or invert were to hang out on or very near the heater while it's on. They're smart enough to move to cooler water if they get too hot, so not really an issue.

Dont Panic

Sanderguy777

Tje only problem is if the heater ever stayed on (like the thermostat breaks), but that is increasingly rare. Dont worry. 2 200w heaters are fine, just monitor the temp everyday like with ANY heater to make sure they are keeping it where it needs to be

Addictedtobettas

Could always hook them up to a temp monitor. Having two is nice for redundancy but not needed usually.

Cody

I have a 150 and a 200 in a 60 gallon. Same foot print just a few inches taller.

I like it because it keeps a nice even temp end to end. I have one in each corner.

One thing I recommend is to run it with one with the thermometer on the same side as the heater and make sure that side reaches your desired temp and do the same with the other. This kind of helps balance them. When I put the thermometer in the center of my tank my temp hardly fluctuates at all.

Sanderguy777

I use a 300w fluval in my 55 and a 150w Hagen in my 60.
Both tanks stay at their respective temps, the 150w just takes more time and probably ultimately more energy to run.

Also multiple or large heaters probably run longer since they are assumed to be used with more biger and thus more advanced setups. That and they don't need to run long and hard to keep the temp where it belongs.

angelcraze

I think two 100 watt heaters is your best bet. I use 100w on my 40 gallon tanks, I have two 200w heaters in my 90g and it keeps the temp at 80°f. I keep the house at ~22°C year round.

I saw a helpful vid by cory Co-op

Islandvic

A lot of people like the "Inkbird" heater controllers on Amazon.

You can plug in your 2x heaters to the controller.

I've got an Aqueon Pro 250w in our 75 gallon tank for the past 2+ years. I live in South Texas so it doesn't really get cold. When it does, house never gets below 68°. The 250w in a 75 gallon keeps up just fine in my experience.

lauren04

If you want to keep an accurate measure and experiment, I found this great little glass thermometer that suction cups to the inside corner (or wherever you want to put it). Fantastic little thing, only like $8 USD

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
  • Nicholas1234
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Nicholas1234