twisted dorsal Help

1. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

i came home today and noticed my 2 angel fish have their dorsal fins twisted, one of them has a sort of shedding of the skin and a white glaze around it crown. Normally they chase each other or are quite happy but they seem distant moping about the place and rarely leaving each others side which isn't normal. No other fish is showing signs of illness or any other change in behavior, any ideas anyone?

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

If this is your 90L`I think I know the problem, to many fish that do not work together. I hate ot be critical but I would like to point out the fish I see as problems:

Red Tail Shark, Should have a tank twice the size of yours and will pick on your other fish in such a small tank.

Betta, Should have a small tank of its own, keeping bettas in community tanks ussually winds up with someone hurt or killed.

Pleco, please specify what type of pleco, if it is a common pleco it needs a much much larger tank.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

but the betta's in a divided portion of the tank, right?

how much of the tank is divided out for the betta? because that means it's even more crowded for the others?

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

OOps, missed the part about the betta being divided, not as bad as I thought about the betta then :)

5. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

its in a breeding net on the side of my tank, not sure on the pleco hes only 4" long, im getting a 4ft tank in the new year so im gonna move things about

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Betta in a breeding net is not good, a betta ideally needs atleast, in my opinion, a 5 Gallon tank all to itself

7. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

i no but its all i can do until i sort summit more suitable out he was battered by an angel n loaches, any ideas about the angel fish?

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry your fish arent dong well wilkinson7133..the twisted fins are probably from lack of space as others have suggested...sounds like they are being stunted from the lack of height in the tank...the shedding and white stuff is probably from nipping that you arent always seeing....are you still using the cycle and the salt? that will irritate them even more :( that new tank is probably needed before the new year ..once an angel gets stunted or deformed finnage, it doesnt always go back to being healthy ...good luck!

9. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

no i did a water change last week but did not use cycle as the the nitrate is 0.0, however i did use aquarium salt but i underdosed so the salinity will be less than 0.1%, im going to move the 2 swords with the barbs too free some space. cheers for takin the time shawnie n everyone for the advice, will keep this thread updated as time goes on.

10. vintagetankgirl Member Member

Very strange I came here to post this very question.

My Angelfish looks to be shedding around his crown...or its some type of white fungus. He also has a small amount of fluffy white stuff on one of his pectoral fins. His dorsal fin twits sometimes (but not all the time), however mine acts normal swims a lot come up to great me and eats like a greedy Angelfish.

Can crowding and being picked on really cause these symptoms or is it a bacteria of fungus problem?

wilkinson7133 I'm sorry I kinda hijacked your post, I hope it helps to know you're not alone.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Here is a link that may help you to diagnose the issue. Please NOTE it contains graphic photos of fish disease:
    JBL - Online Hospital
    Best wishes! I hope your fish are going to be ok.
    Ken

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

lack of space and territorial issues can cause all of that...how you take care of the issues, depends if it turns to a worse condition...MOST of the time, fixing the problems isnt needed with meds but bigger tanks, less fish etc...with daily partial water changes to keep their water prestine, is a must!

13. vintagetankgirl Member Member

I did treat with Jungle fungus fizzie things and Sunshine the anglfish is looking a lot better, no more white stuff around the crown, dorsal no longer twisted and small fuzzy place on pectoral fin is way smaller. I will be moving 1 of the Bolivians to the 15 gallon after I do water changes tonight. I also will be giving another one of the Bolivians to a good friend who has a lightly stocked 55 gallon.

Hopefully the end result will be just 1 Angel and 1 BR in the 28 gallon, and no more of this shedding looking stuff.

I do keep my water parameters up by weekly water changes. I tested yesterday at 0 Nitrites 0 Ammonia and 20 Nitrates (I like to keep it at 10 but having just added 3 new fish I expected it to go up a little).

wilkinson7133 good luck and as always I recommend trying to do as the helpful people say on this site. Good luck finding a bigger tank, I don't know if you guys have an equivalent to craigslist across the pond, but you should check it out if you do.