Tweeking my 20 gallon long stocking.

Qzar61

My 20 gallon has 3 albino Buenos Aires tetras 3 Black skirt tetras 2 small corys and about 3 weeks ago a female Betta who is the diva. The tank has been up 3 months so the tetras are grown same with the corys. I'm getting a very wide account of how big bristlenose get, 3 inches is fine but 6 is too much. This will be my last addition so I want to get it right. If not maybe snails are a better option. Unplanted tank btw. Thanks

MacZ

Leave the pleco out. You have Tetras and Cories to stock up to good group sizes and Buenos Aires Tetras to rehome. Long term the BA tetras need more room and a bigger group, you could keep 5-7 Black Skirts and 5-7 Cories in that tank size.
Especially as the tank is unplanted (do the fish have enough cover?) the bioload has to be kept low and the water change volume and frequency high.

Qzar61

Good point about the tetras. Neither have recommended group size. I was thinking I couldn't add cause of the age difference and they might get bullied. They have places to hide and explore but need one more piece. I do at least 15% water change once a week. Every other week I double it. The BN came up cause my take is kinda close to a window and I get some green algae. Once in awhile I throw in a wafer for the corys and the BA like them. Thanks for the response

ProudPapa

. . . The BN came up cause my take is kinda close to a window and I get some green algae. Once in awhile I throw in a wafer for the corys and the BA like them. Thanks for the response

Limiting the light exposure would be a better fix. If that isn't possible you might try one or two nerite snails.

Qzar61

Limiting the light exposure would be a better fix. If that isn't possible you might try one or two nerite snails.
Getting some good info here. . I've sealed off the curtain so now it gets indirect light. Average the light is on about 10 hours a day. I turn the light off when I go to work, but, especially the BA albinos, they freak when I get home. I think this confirms the earlier post that said they should be in a bigger tank. Reading up on corys and black skirts it suggests some plants, I was afraid to cross that line cause I haven't been too successful with them and it said BA eat them. When I rehome the BA I'll try a couple. Snails sound like fun too. Thanks

Qzar61

Currently I have 3 BA Albino tetras, 3 Black skirt tetras, 2 dwarf corys, and a diva female betta who joined 3 weeks ago. Everyone gets along well. Atm unplanted.

Looking back I probably should have just gone with just 5-6 black skirts and 3 more corys. BA albino are much bigger than average tetras like 2.5 to 3 inches an I think a 29 would be a better fit.

So....,my local store will rehome the BAs and I can get the black skirts and corys. Given the above info can I add another centerpiece like honey gournami? rams don't get along with betta I heard, or maybe a couple of mystery snails. Or other ides or nothing. Oh I'm going to try some non co2 plants.

MacZ

Given the above info can I add another centerpiece like honey gournami? rams don't get along with betta I heard, or maybe a couple of mystery snails.
Bettas and other labyrinthers can go very wrong, rams would need warmer water than the other fish. I'd stay away from both and consider the betta the centerpiece. As the tetras and the cories are being stocked up I wouldn't add anything else. Solid stocking.

Qzar61

Bettas and other labyrinthers can go very wrong, rams would need warmer water than the other fish. I'd stay away from both and consider the betta the centerpiece. As the tetras and the cories are being stocked up I wouldn't add anything else. Solid stocking.
Ty, also I didn't realized my eariler question about BN looked alot like this one. Sorry if it sounded redundant

MacZ

Daily business on Fishlore, no worries. ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
imba
Replies
Views
jologs459
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views